The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Definition of "Past President"

Guest Paul Kujo

We are currently in an organization who's by-laws state that the Executive Committe also includes the past president. Elections are held every two years. Our current president has been our president the past 10 years, as she's been re-elected each two-year term. The man who was president prior to her 10 years ago is now claiming he is the "past president", as he was the last ptresident to hold office prior to our current president, who just happened to be reelcted the past 10 years to the same position. It is our contention that the "past president" is defined as the president who previously was appointed to the last two-year term. It may be wise for us to amend the wording to read "immediate past president" for clarification. What is your take on this? Do you think the former president from 10 years ago should be considered our "past president", or the person who held the position two years ago? Thank You!

The man who was president prior to her 10 years ago is now claiming he is the "past president", as he was the last ptresident to hold office prior to our current president

Makes sense to me

It is our contention that the "past president" is defined as the president who previously was appointed to the last two-year term.

I see no basis for that contention.

It may be wise for us to amend the wording to read "immediate past president" for clarification.

That might be an improvement but it wouldn't change the fact that the person who was president just before (even ten years before) the current president is the immediate past president. When George W. Bush was elected to his second term, he did not become his own immediate past president. That distinction remained Bill Clinton's.

Your best option to remove the position of (immediate) past president altogether.

It may be wise for us to amend the wording to read "immediate past president" for clarification. What is your take on this? Do you think the former president from 10 years ago should be considered our "past president", or the person who held the position two years ago?

The position of "Past President" or "Immediate Past President" does not appear in RONR and many on this forum advise against such a position. Ultimately, this is a question of Bylaws interpretation that the society must decide for itself. See RONR, 10th ed., pgs 570-573 for some Principles of Interpretation. The simple dictionary meaning of the words would suggest that the IPP is the person who served immediately prior to the current president. There may, however, be other relevant rules in your Bylaws which would make the issue more complex.

If your intent is for someone to serve in the positions of President and Immediate Past President simultaneously, that is certainly an option, but you may need further language to clarify that intent.

• 1 year later...

I am glad I used google which lead me to this discussion. I needed to know whether a president in his first term who quits for whatever reason and feels that he can appoint him/her self as past president ?

I'd say he can't appoint herself past president. He is a past president, as would be all the former presidents. He might even be the immediate past president (for now).

I am glad I used google which lead me to this discussion. I needed to know whether a president in his first term who quits for whatever reason and feels that he can appoint him/her self as past president ?

Unless you have some very strange bylaws, nobody appoints someone as "past president"; it is something that you are or are not. Unless you have a definition of "past president", I would think that a president for one day who quits or otherwsie leaves office (and is still alive) is the "past president". Why wouldn't he be?

The position of "Past President" or "Immediate Past President" does not appear in RONR and many on this forum advise against such a position. Ultimately, this is a question of Bylaws interpretation that the society must decide for itself. See RONR, 10th ed., pgs 570-573 for some Principles of Interpretation. The simple dictionary meaning of the words would suggest that the IPP is the person who served immediately prior to the current president. There may, however, be other relevant rules in your Bylaws which would make the issue more complex.

Archived