The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominations

Guest Keith

I don't know about that. In the case where the self nominating member is the only candidate, I'd say his/her chances are pretty good, e.g.:

Chairman: The floor is now open for nominations for the office of president.

Chairman of Nominating Committee: The committee has not been able to obtain any candidate for this office.

Mrs. Brown: I am willing to serve and will nominate myself.

-OR-

In the case of a smaller group, e.g. a 7 member board, if the nominating committee follows a practice of not revealing its candidates ahead of time and picks a really bad choice.

-Bob

An organization with which I am familiar allowed its candidates for chairman to address the organization for 5 minutes prior to voting. The group was pretty liberal and a conservative member, knowing he would not win the election, routinely used that opportunity to nominate himself and then spend his 5 minutes excoriating his colleagues for their failure to adopt positions closer to his point of view.

-Bob

An organization with which I am familiar allowed its candidates for chairman to address the organization for 5 minutes prior to voting. The group was pretty liberal and a conservative member, knowing he would not win the election, routinely used that opportunity to nominate himself and then spend his 5 minutes excoriating his colleagues for their failure to adopt positions closer to his point of view.

-Bob

Hopefully he stays within the bounds of decorum.

Archived