The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Kindle ebooks recommendations?

MaC

I have just got a new Kindle and was wondering if anyone can recommed an e-book (or ebooks) for reviewing RONR and/or basic parliamentary procedures? I see they have a number of such on the amazon site. But i suspect many are outdated - or will be if the 11th edition is coming out next year (2011) eh? I imagine the new 11th editon of RO won't be available in ebook format right away. So i'm looking for suggestions on which ebook i could use in the meantime. Any advice and information would be appreciated.

I have just got a new Kindle and was wondering if anyone can recommed an e-book (or ebooks) for reviewing RONR and/or basic parliamentary procedures? I see they have a number of such on the amazon site. But i suspect many are outdated - or will be if the 11th edition is coming out next year (2011) eh? I imagine the new 11th editon of RO won't be available in ebook format right away. So i'm looking for suggestions on which ebook i could use in the meantime. Any advice and information would be appreciated.

Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised In Brief is available on the Kindle. It is an excellent text for reviewing RONR and basic parliamentary procedure, particularly for beginners. It is written by the official RONR Authorship Team and is currently up to date. I suspect it will be updated for the 11th edition, but it's quite cheap and most of the principles will remain the same.

All of the other books for the Kindle are either unofficial or are already out of date. The current (10th) edition is not available in Kindle format, although it is available on CD-ROM for Windows. I have no idea what the electronic publishing plans are for the 11th edition, but I agree that it is unlikely to be available in any electronic format immediately.

Thank you. I will definitely get the "... In Brief" ebook. I must admit that i also like checking to see what other books say, such as "... for Dummies" (2005)- and Zimmerman's "Robert's Rules in Plain English"(2005). Would the basic principles given in this type of books still apply? Or are they quite outdated?? I find myself double checking my understanding of the RONR, especially when i need to explain it to others.

Thank you. I will definitely get the "... In Brief" ebook. I must admit that i also like checking to see what other books say, such as "... for Dummies" (2005)- and Zimmerman's "Robert's Rules in Plain English"(2005). Would the basic principles given in this type of books still apply? Or are they quite outdated?? I find myself double checking my understanding of the RONR, especially when i need to explain it to others.

RONR, 10th ed. was written in 2000, so anything written after that date should be up to date (in theory). The books you refer to are third-party guides, and while the basic principles in these guides certainly still apply, the quality of such books varies widely. I have heard good things about Robert's Rules for Dummies and The Complete Idiot's Guide to Robert's Rules, and both are written by well-respected parliamentarians.

I have not been impressed with what I have seen or heard of texts such as Robert's Rules in Plain English or Webster's New World Robert's Rules of Order, and have had to correct errors in both texts when posters quote them on this forum.

You might want to look at the websites of the National Association of Parliamentarians and the American Institute of Parliamentarians, the two major professional organizations devoted to parliamentary procedure. Both have online stores, and while I do not believe they sell their resources in e-book format, you can at least see what books they are recommending. That should help to filter out some of the junk like Plain English and Webster's.

Not too sure "Robert's Rules in Plain English" you'll find to be helpful, as the author seems to intend it to be more of a parliamentary authority than a "resource". As Josh pointed out, they are often cited by members here as being the parliamentary authority when in fact they're reading the wrong book. [similar to picking up a dictionary instead of the Bible and saying they're somehow comparable.]

Archived