The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Majority of Entire Membership as Vote Required

Dan Honemann

Why?

• The amendment is adoptable, without "MEM".

• The amendment is defeatable, without "MEM".

If enough people walk through the door to satisfy the new amendment requirement, then all is well.

Just because a MM is not adoptable at 8:35 p.m., that does not imply that the motion will be out of order due to adoption of the radical amendment at 8:40 p.m.

Indeed, if during the amendment's debate, enough members do walk in the door, then the Point of Order will be no longer applicable (i.e., the Point of Order being based on false data or out of date data or inaccurate data).

The assembly is free to postpone the MM.

The assembly is free to refer the MM.

No rule will have been violated -- yet.

Indeed, the amendment, WHILE PENDING, might be itself amended, and maybe amended into a form not intended by the maker of the motion. (i.e., into a non-MEM form).

You know, RONR does allow the assembly to amend a MM adversely, so as to make it unpalatable to the voters.

Thus, this radical amendment might accomplish this same legitimate end.

Same principle -- a MM is moved, and is not adoptable in its original wording, given its lack of precision, or given its ambiguity. The assembly is nonetheless free to AMEND that bad MM into an adoptable form, adding/subtracting language to make it feasible.

Same here.

The radical amendment is amendable.

The radical amendment might not be so radical after an amendment or two.

Bottom line:

The assembly is NOT YET confronted with a truly UNADOPTABLE motion.

(And, maybe, due to amendments to the amendments, IT NEVER WILL BE SO CONFRONTED.)

Granted, if the assembly is confronted with an unadoptable MM, then a Point of Order will be in order.

But that is in the future; and maybe that particular "future" will never arrive.

So, there are countless "in order" things to do with the amendment, even if its adoption is problematic early in the meeting.

See the first paragraph of Dan's original post. I agree with it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived