The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Who can withdraw?

paulmcclintock

An agenda is pending adoption, and member X moves to amend by adding a motion to buy a flag to General Orders, which is adopted, and the amended agenda is adopted. When the motion on the flag is pending, can X ask permission to withdraw it?

The motion X made, to amend the pending agenda, was already adopted. Is X considered the maker of the flag motion, or is the assembly by virtue of adopting the agenda with it listed?

Assume that the full wording of the motion was in the agenda so no motion was made when general orders were reached in the agenda; i.e., the chair simply stated the flag motion to put it before the assembly.

An agenda is pending adoption, and member X moves to amend by adding a motion to buy a flag to General Orders, which is adopted, and the amended agenda is adopted. When the motion on the flag is pending, can X ask permission to withdraw it?

The motion X made, to amend the pending agenda, was already adopted. Is X considered the maker of the flag motion, or is the assembly by virtue of adopting the agenda with it listed?

Assume that the full wording of the motion was in the agenda so no motion was made when general orders were reached in the agenda; i.e., the chair simply stated the flag motion to put it before the assembly.

I don't think notice of a motion (which is what including it on the agenda is) is the same as making the motion.

So, no motion having yet been made, there's no motion to withdraw. And if the member who asked to place the motion on the agenda is unwilling to make it, any other member is free to do so (though I suspect the chair should not have been the one to do so).

I don't think notice of a motion (which is what including it on the agenda is) is the same as making the motion.

So, no motion having yet been made, there's no motion to withdraw. And if the member who asked to place the motion on the agenda is unwilling to make it, any other member is free to do so (though I suspect the chair should not have been the one to do so).

If during a committee report a motion is made and while pending postponed to the next meeting (to be a general order), at the next meeting the chair does not ask for someone to make the motion; the chair simply states it.

And if under new business someone moves "that at the next meeting we consider the motion to buy a flag" and it is adopted, the motion to "buy a flag" need not be "made" at the next meeting; the chair would simply state it.

There is a difference between giving notice, which is the act of one member, and adopting an agenda with a general order with the text of the motion spelled out, which is the act of a majority.

Items of business on an adopted agenda come up automatically at the designated time. However, even if an item of business is couched in the form of a motion, a member will have to move the adoption of that motion when the time comes (unless the motion has previously been properly made and stated by the chair).

Items of business on an adopted agenda come up automatically at the designated time. However, even if an item of business is couched in the form of a motion, a member will have to move the adoption of that motion when the time comes (unless the motion has previously been properly made and stated by the chair).

Ah, page 346 confirms this: "Normally - unless an order of the day was made as a part of an agenda for a session - no motion is necessary at the time the order comes up, since the introduction of the question has been accomplished previously...."

Thanks!

Ah, page 346 confirms this: "Normally - unless an order of the day was made as a part of an agenda for a session - no motion is necessary at the time the order comes up, since the introduction of the question has been accomplished previously...."

Thanks!

Yes, and I think it is also indicated by what is said on page 362, lines 8-28 (particularly ll. 22-28).

Archived