The Official RONR Q & A Forums

postpone vote to date

lipets

It's an annual meeting generally, is that an issue?

It's not an issue as relates to the classes of business that may be discussed. Annual meetings sometimes have classes of business that can ONLY be transacted at the AGM, but all normal business may also come before an annual meeting. Except for the fact that special business such as elections is usually done there, annual meetings are in other respects "regular" meetings.

In voting on a Revision we want to vote on several amendments, but hold the final vote off until the next meeting.

I read p. 172 that a motion to postpone to a date certain appears to apply.

I'm I correct?

tks

Strictly speaking, without some kind of special rule of the organization, there is no way to fix the time of the vote on a pending question for a later session.

As I understand the original post, the intention is to fix the time for the final vote on the pending main motion to the next session. Postpone to a Certain Time does not do this. In fact, trying to do so infringes on the freedom of the latter session.

Huh?

If they move to Postpone until the next meeting, that stops discussion immediately, and naturally postpones the final vote until the next meeting as well. It's an ordinary motion to Postpone to a Certain Time. Nothing special about it. It accomplishes the goal and does not infringe on any freedoms at all.

See RONR (10th ed.), p. 85, ll. 14-20.

Scenario: JIMBO2010's revision is pending, all amendments appear to have been dealt with, and debate appears to have petered out. The Chair asks "Are you ready for the question?"

Member Elsman promptly gets recognition, moves that the pending motion be postponed to the next meeting, and made a special order for 9:30 AM at that meeting. Adopted by a proper 2/3 margin. This accomplishes exactly what JIMBO2010 wanted.

Are your saying that Member Elsman's postpone motion should be ruled out of order because it "violates a fundamental rule" about tying the hands of a majority at that next meeting?

Huh?

If they move to Postpone until the next meeting, that stops discussion immediately, and naturally postpones the final vote until the next meeting as well. It's an ordinary motion to Postpone to a Certain Time. Nothing special about it. It accomplishes the goal and does not infringe on any freedoms at all.

If I'm in the chair when a member obstinately insists on making a motion in the form, "that the vote be held at the next meeting [session]", I will have no option but to rule the motion out of order on account that the motion to postpone is improperly formed and violates a fundamental principle of parliamentary law by infringing on the freedom of the next session.

George, you don't postpone a vote. You postpone a main motion (and what adheres to it), presentation of a committee report, etc. Postpone to a Certain Time decides nothing about when, if ever, a question will be put to vote.

Your post from 3:16PM is simply laughable, since the original poster never obstinately said that was his motion. He wants to postpone the pending question, nothing more (which postpones the final vote on it as well). And if you obstinately didn't help the member phrase the motion correctly, shame on you, as the chair.

Your post from 3:16PM is simply laughable, since the original poster never obstinately said that was his motion. He wants to postpone the pending question, nothing more (which postpones the final vote on it as well). And if you obstinately didn't help the member phrase the motion correctly, shame on you, as the chair.

Well, we've had posters ask about whether they could postpone only the vote to a subsequent meeting, so I think Mr. Elsman's concerns are well-founded. I'm not sure of the original poster's intent, but the bottom line is that the motion can be postponed, although that won't stop members from debating the motion at the later meeting.

Archived