The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Board: Elected or Appointed Body?

Rob Elsman

Is an executive board an "...elected or appointed body..." for purposes of applying the rule in RONR (10th ed.), p. 485, ll. 3-6?

I would think not, because of the phrase "as a convention." It is odd. I don't quite understand the whole sentence, because its first clause, looked at with the previous sentence, suggest to me that it is special committees of the membership that are first intended; but what's after the comma seems to refer to committees of the convention (or other strange elected or appointed body. -- I say "strange" because "an elected or appointed body" could refer not only to a board, or any ordinary committee). And then there's the assumption that new terms of officers take effect at the next annual meeting, but not, say, at this convention (or whatever) or even a year or two away.

Is an executive board an "...elected or appointed body..." for purposes of applying the rule in RONR (10th ed.), p. 485, ll. 3-6?

Yes, this rule to which you refer applies to executive boards whose members are elected or appointed for a specified period of time.

However, reference to the time “when the new officers assume their duties at the next annual meeting” tends to be confusing, and I hope you will find the next edition’s revised statement of the rule a bit more clear.

Yes, this rule to which you refer applies to executive boards whose members are elected or appointed for a specified period of time.

However, reference to the time “when the new officers assume their duties at the next annual meeting” tends to be confusing, and I hope you will find the next edition’s revised statement of the rule a bit more clear.

Thank you. I can't wait. smile.gif

I would think not, because of the phrase "as a convention." It is odd. I don't quite understand the whole sentence, because its first clause, looked at with the previous sentence, suggest to me that it is special committees of the membership that are first intended; but what's after the comma seems to refer to committees of the convention (or other strange elected or appointed body. -- I say "strange" because "an elected or appointed body" could refer not only to a board, or any ordinary committee). And then there's the assumption that new terms of officers take effect at the next annual meeting, but not, say, at this convention (or whatever) or even a year or two away.

I agree, Gary. The whole sentence is a little strange. I got the same impression you did. The ",but..." clause looks like it was rather incongruously sewn onto the end of a sentence that really had to do with something else. Maybe that's why I went back and forth about my question before I posted it.

Archived