The Official RONR Q & A Forums

A Point of Order regarding the conduct of a vote and timeliness after a recess

Chris Harrison

RONR pp 243-244 says:

Points of order regarding the conduct of a vote may be raised immediately following the announcement of the voting result - up until another member has been recognized and has introduced another matter.

Suppose that the assembly when adopting their agenda adds a recess at a specific time in the meeting. Right before the recess is to start there is an error in conducting a vote and before a member rises to raise a Point of Order that an error was made the Chair declares the assembly in recess. Would the Point of Order still be timely if the first thing that the member does after the Chair calls the meeting to order is to raise that Point of Order? I would not consider the Chair declaring the assembly in recess per the agenda to constitute a member being recognized and introducing another matter and so it would seem to fit within the timeliness requirement but it does seem strange that it would be timely after a 15-20+ minute recess has intervened.

RONR pp 243-244 says:

Suppose that the assembly when adopting their agenda adds a recess at a specific time in the meeting. Right before the recess is to start there is an error in conducting a vote and before a member rises to raise a Point of Order that an error was made the Chair declares the assembly in recess. Would the Point of Order still be timely if the first thing that the member does after the Chair calls the meeting to order is to raise that Point of Order? I would not consider the Chair declaring the assembly in recess per the agenda to constitute a member being recognized and introducing another matter and so it would seem to fit within the timeliness requirement but it does seem strange that it would be timely after a 15-20+ minute recess has intervened.

Yes, in my opinion--until, as you note, another member has been recognized and has introduced another matter.

Archived