The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How to E-Mail?

jstackpo

I don't know how to do that with this current format (hopefully Olivia can help with that). One suggestion would be to create a throwaway email account (Yahoo, Hotmail, Google, etc) which you could post here and then the person could email you there and you could give him or her your main address there.

I also hope the board admins can enable such a feature. A 'shielded' e-mail capability is such a common feature of message boards like this one, that it would be surprising if the feature isn't actually available under the software here. I do think it's useful to have such a communication feature available.

I'm pretty sure it's still available. I found this on the IPB documentation site:

Admin CP --> System --> System Settings --> Members --> Personal Message Setup

The settings on this page allow you to control some of the general settings for the PM system on your IP.Board . . .

I have looked into this on the Admin CP and have asked the forum tech support about it. The Admin CP does indeed have the page that Edgar referenced, but it does not have any controls to turn the feature on. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but the settings are:

* Max number of messages to show per page when viewing the message list

* Unblocked groups:

* Override 'inbox full' error

Clearly there must be a way to enable personal messaging, but it is not on this page. I asked the tech support group and got no answer.

If I could find how to do it, I would enable it. There are pages and pages of configuration settings and I have poured over them all looking for this and a couple other features that were available in the former version. So far, no luck.

I have reasked the question. Hope to get an answer this time.

I have reasked the question. Hope to get an answer this time.

Thanks for following up on this.

I did not mean to suggest that the instructions I quoted were the right ones, only that they indicated that the PM feature still existed.

Now about that CAPTCHA code . . .

I asked tech support to help with the private messaging and apparently they did. Looks like that "Send me a message" button does send a private message. I think we all have a new little envelope icon near the upper right corner where we can receive our messages. So there we go. One wish has been granted!

Archived