The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Past President resigns

Guest Pam

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does?

As I understand it, it makes the point that, by accepting his resignation from office, the society ought to be able to remove any expectation that Gary Novosielski will be doing anything as a member of the board, just as it could, by accepting her resignation from office, remove any expectation that another ex-officio member of the board, such as the treasurer, will be doing anything as a member of the board.

The only question is what office is being resigned from. :)

As I understand it, it makes the point that, by accepting his resignation from office, the society ought to be able to remove any expectation that Gary Novosielski will be doing anything as a member of the board, just as it could, by accepting her resignation from office, remove any expectation that another ex-officio member of the board, such as the treasurer, will be doing anything as a member of the board.

The only question is what office is being resigned from. :)

The assembly can accept the treasurer's resignation from the office of treasurer, in which event he will no longer be the treasurer. Gary will still be Gary, no matter what he or the assembly says or does, and the only way to remove him from the board will be to amend the bylaws (unless, of course, he dies).

The way I see it, he can be excused from the duties associated with membership on the board. Then, as a member who does not have the obligation to participate, he should not affect the quorum in any way. If he wants to pop in and exercise his rights . . . well, that's what rights are for, and he'll be able to do that until the bylaws are changed or until the inevitable flatline.

The assembly can accept the treasurer's resignation from the office of treasurer, in which event he will no longer be the treasurer. Gary will still be Gary, no matter what he or the assembly says or does, and the only way to remove him from the board will be to amend the bylaws (unless, of course, he dies).

I'm trying to remain neutral in this discussion, but I took Gary's comment "if I offer my resignation, why can't they accept it, creating a vacancy in the office of Gary Novosielski?" to mean, Why can't he resign from the office of "ex-officio member of the board by virtue of being Gary Novosielski"?

I'm trying to remain neutral in this discussion, but I took Gary's comment "if I offer my resignation, why can't they accept it, creating a vacancy in the office of Gary Novosielski?" to mean, Why can't he resign from the office of "ex-officio member of the board by virtue of being Gary Novosielski"?

Gary can do, or not do, whatever he wants. The point is that the society's assembly cannot remove him from the board, or effectively accept his resignation and thus prevent him from future participation, because its bylaws prevent it from doing so.

This is precisely my point; it is really a question of whether or not the bylaws define the IPP as an office or not. You can't resign being Gary Novosielski, but if your organization coincidentally had an office called Gary Novosielski, then there is prima facie no reason that David A Foulkes couldn't be the Gary Novosielski.

Well, in my organization, IPP is more clearly an office, and defined as a member of the board, but for a fixed term of one year. The President has a term of three years. Once the year is up, the past president is still a past president, but has vacated the office of Immediate Past President, which now has no occupant and presumably does not count toward a quorum. It's not so much a vacancy in the office at that point so much as an office which sprang into being at the last election and then vanished a year later.

Archived