The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Immediate Past President

Steeves

Oh dear. Mr. Steeves, you've committed the classic novice RONR forums error of conflating our two eminent Garys: Mr. Novosielski and Mr. Tesser.

It was the latter Gary who is grumpy today...or at least, he was grumpy yesterday. (I'm not sure how he's feeling today.)

It is Ms Steeves, thank you

Can I plead "not enough caffeine in the system" or should I just throw myself on the mercy of the court? ;)

• 11 months later...
Guest Vince The Secretary

My question about IPP is this.  At the AGM all positions are declared vacant.  Therefore to me the person who was president before that declaration of vacancy becomes the IPP.  should that IPP then stand again for president, I pose that if elected the president is both president and the IPP.

My question about IPP is this.  At the AGM all positions are declared vacant.  Therefore to me the person who was president before that declaration of vacancy becomes the IPP.  should that IPP then stand again for president, I pose that if elected the president is both president and the IPP.

There is no such thing in RONR as a "declaration of vacancy".

But "immediate past president" doesn't bother you any more?

I don't think it ever did.

Vince The Secretary tells us that, at his organization's AGM, all "positions are declared vacant", which means to him that the person who was president before that declaration of vacancy becomes the immediate past president upon the making of that declaration. It is this declaration that is entirely foreign to RONR, and so RONR has nothing to say about whether this notion is right or wrong.

There is, of course, such a thing in RONR as making and adopting a motion to "declare the chair vacant and proceed to elect a new chairman" when the desire of the assembly is to oust a chairman pro tem. I'll opine that, upon the adoption of such a motion, the person who was ousted becomes the immediate past chairman pro tem, if you think it helps any.  :)  

.... I'll opine that, upon the adoption of such a motion, the person who was ousted becomes the immediate past chairman pro tem, if you think it helps any.  :)  

I don't think it achieves the level or a fred or a wilma, but it's game enough.

• 1 year later...

Our president has just tendered his resignation, with 9 months remaining in his term.

According to our Bylaws, the 1st VP becomes Pres and shall remain as such for 9 months.

Many in the org suggest that the Past President's term is also complete, and his replacement ought to be appointed in accordance with the bylaws.

Your thoughts?

Archived