The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Forum Upgrade - May 2013

Gary, I now what you mean. I have clicked on the wrong "forum upgrade" link myself. But if I change it now it may throw off everyone that is currently following this thread. I will try to be more original next time.

Ms. E., would it work for you to just include the starting date of the thread in its title? This thread would then be "Forum Upgrade 5/21/2013" (allowing for my tpos, or your own, if you can spare us any). You might get complaints, but the regulars are a pile of indefatigable whiners anyway.

Guest_Edgar's problems could all be solved by logging in.....but I suppose he's happy to have his registered account be at 5000 posts exactly.

Actually, I'd grown quite fond of the number "4999" but that's water under the bridge now.

We will all know we have a winner with keyCAPTCHA if Guest_Edgar actually gives up his CAPTCHA protest and starts logging in with his account. Call me a dreamer...

There's no doubt that the new CAPTCHA is better than the old CAPTCHA but, please, don't stop dreaming.

No one wants Mr. Mountcastle to come down from his quixotic high horse more than I do.

Sometimes I think Edgar forgets which side his bread is buttered on. Though of course I'm the one who should be thanking him for his yeoman-like service over these past many months.

Overnight, I noticed that threads I had read a couple hours before, were still when I looked at them again as if I had not viewed them previously. I figured (probably accurately, it apparently eventuates) that the process had begun.

It was like once when I walked into my TARDIS that first step was into the swimming pool.

Suddenly, this forum makes much more sense.

A "Feature" has vanished (and I miss it somewhat):

It used to be that when you clicked into a thread you had the option (just above the dark blue bar) of clicking on a "Jump to First Unread Post" option.  It didn't always work quite right, but it was better than nothing.

Has that "feature" been dropped (perhaps because it indeed didn't always work quite right)

or

Is it an option that hasn't been activated in the upgrade?

I liked it.

A "Feature" has vanished (and I miss it somewhat):

It used to be that when you clicked into a thread you had the option (just above the dark blue bar) of clicking on a "Jump to First Unread Post" option.  It didn't always work quite right, but it was better than nothing.

Has that "feature" been dropped (perhaps because it indeed didn't always work quite right)

or

Is it an option that hasn't been activated in the upgrade?

I liked it.

I find if you click the blue dot to the left of the thread title (it's a star if you've posted in the thread) it takes you to the first unread post, as long as you're logged in.  This was the same before this upgrade, also.

A thread that has been "pinned" always shows up on the top of the list for its forum, no matter how old it is.

Or to put it in parliamentary terms, "pinned" threads take precedence over other threads.

There is nothing which takes precedence over anything posted by Her Bossness, whether it's pinned or not.  :)

I find if you click the blue dot to the left of the thread title (it's a star if you've posted in the thread) it takes you to the first unread post, as long as you're logged in.  This was the same before this upgrade, also.

Hey, that worked!  Thanks  --  learn something new every day.  (Wonder where that is documented?)

Hey, that worked!  Thanks  --  learn something new every day.  (Wonder where that is documented?)

Not sure if it's documented in the Help files, but when you're in the forum list screen, if you float your mouse pointer over the blue dot and wait a second or three, a "help tip" appears telling you (in brief fashion) that clicking on it will take you to the first unread post.  Similarly, if you float your mouse over the time stamp (at the right) below the name of the last poster in a thread, the "help tip" will tell you that by clicking on that time stamp you will go to the last post of the thread (possibly skipping other unread posts along the way).

Also, while viewing a thread, clicking on the number of the entry (to the far right on the blue bar across from the poster's name) a pop up will appear with a http link that you can share on many other networking sites, or (by copying it) you can use as a hyperlink, much as this link will take you directly to your post above this one.

Finally, if there is no blue dot, or the star is not a "bright" blue, then there are no unread posts.

Archived