The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Fed up with "Guest_Guests"

I advise and request regular posters to tell Guest-Guests to pick a name, or register. As the first reply -- and carefully, about follow-up posts. And any thread that has more than one Guest_Guest, Idunno, maybe just say, I'm not going to answer unless you pick a name, and use it, or register. Boycott them. I am clearly on (tiresome, tedious) record as supporting the Original Posters, but this is different. A couple of days ago there was A. Nony. Mous. or something.... I was tempted to tell him the hell with it, go back to Guest_Guest. But I refrained. But c'mon.

This has gone on too stupidly.

I advise and request regular posters to tell Guest-Guests to pick a name, or register. As the first reply -- and carefully, about follow-up posts. And any thread that has more than one Guest_Guest, Idunno, maybe just say, I'm not going to answer unless you pick a name, and use it, or register. Boycott them. I am clearly on (tiresome, tedious) record as supporting the Original Posters, but this is different. A couple of days ago there was A. Nony. Mous. or something.... I was tempted to tell him the hell with it, go back to Guest_Guest. But I refrained. But c'mon.

This has gone on too stupidly.

Will you answer Major Major?

As long as the field for entering a name is optional not much will change.

If there is only one response, which says that the question will not be answered unless a name is used, and if everyone then holds off, then yes it'll change. They have no incentive to bother right now, because we haven't given them one.

Will you answer Major Major?

Thanks; I needed a chuckle. The Calm Down Gary Club has been off its game for a few days, and furosemide can only do so much.

But maybe not their fault.

I just noticed that for Guests to post, the space for self-identification is labelled "Enter Your Name". Now, to even the most casual observer, many Guests don't bother taking this order literally, so we see all sorts of whimsical or arbitrary Guest names. But it is probable that some posters are so put off, or are concerned for their privacy, that they leave it blank altogether, rather than think of some silly implausible nom de ecouter (I looked up "computer" in English-French dictionary on the Internet) like Edgar or Nancy.

Would it be any trouble to change it to something less strict, or to ask those software people to do it?)

But it is probable that some posters are so put off, or are concerned for their privacy, that they leave it blank altogether, rather than think of some silly implausible nom de ecouter

Is that the same as a "cybernym"?

[bTW, my translator believes that "écouter" means "listen to" or "hear".  Computer is translated "ordinateur".]

[GcT, Post 5:]

some silly implausible nom de ecouter

Is that the same as a "cybernym"?

If I had known the term, I'd have used it instead.

[bTW, my translator believes that "écouter" means "listen to" or "hear". Computer is translated "ordinateur".]

(The Googled French-English / English-French dictionary I used, at random, had them both, and didn't differentiate.)

Archived