The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Disciplinary action steps?

Big Ed

So I guess the bottom line is, does someone need to say "we are using unanimous consent"? Or is simple silence after a suggestion supposed to be taken as "this action will be taken"? We had this one board member and probably others leave thinking no action would be taken, because no vote was conducted.

Generally speaking, yes, the chair would say "Is there any objection to..." or "If there is no objection..." or "Without objection..." The chair may sometimes assume unanimous consent if it is already apparent (the example given is if the assembly is raptly listening to a member who has gone over his allotted time for debate), although that clearly does not seem to be the case here. The chair's failure to do so, however, does not constitute a continuing breach.

If it is indeed correct that a majority of the board is opposed to this action, however, a member of the board should simply move to Rescind it. The motion to Rescind requires a 2/3 vote, a vote of a majority of the entire membership (of the board, in this case), or a majority vote with previous notice for adoption.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for explaining this. I talked to the vice president yesterday, and he said "there was no physical vote, but it was unaninous, well except for one guy". I know this isn't true from talking to others that refer to this as "what they did". In other words, they are not claiming to be a part of it. The member I spend the most time with got himself on the board and intends to put an end to this right away, I will pass along that he can call for a vote to rescind.

I talked to the vice president yesterday, and he said "there was no physical vote, but it was unaninous, well except for one guy".

For future reference for the Vice President, whatever they did was not an apppropriate method of decision making. Decisions can be made by unanimous consent (in which case there is not even one objection) or by a formal vote. Decisions are not made by the chair attempting to guess at the will of the assembly, which is what appears to have happened here.

The board members opposing this might wish to read up on some motions like Point of Order and Appeal, since I have a feeling the President and his allies might not go down quietly on this issue.

Archived