The Official RONR Q & A Forums

absentee ballots

Guest Terry

Are absentee ballots counted in determining a quorum? For example, if a quorum is equal to 100 members, but only 90 members are present and there are 15 absentee ballots, does that count as 105 members present in the meeting for a quorum to conduct the vote?

Thank you.

Assuming your bylaws provide for absentee voting, then yes you would have a quorum for the voting:  90 + 15 > 100.  But RONR (11th ed.), p. 423, ll. 16-22. strongly advises against absentee voting.  

Ron, I think you got caught in that all too common trap of equating the number votes cast with the number of members who must be present to conduct business.  She needs 100 bodies in the room for the quorum requirement to be satisfied, regardless of the number of absentee votes submitted, under the rules in RONR.

Are absentee ballots counted in determining a quorum? For example, if a quorum is equal to 100 members, but only 90 members are present and there are 15 absentee ballots, does that count as 105 members present in the meeting for a quorum to conduct the vote?

No, unless your bylaws provide otherwise.

OK, George, but as I understood the question, the meeting was only to hold the vote, not to conduct other business.

So? Even if this is correct, they don't have a quorum for this vote, unless their bylaws provide otherwise. So far as RONR is concerned, a quorum is based on the number of members who are present. Even if their bylaws authorize absentee voting (which is not entirely clear), this does not automatically mean that absentee votes count toward the quorum.

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old post, but I have a question along the same line.  Purely for the purpose of passing a vote on a given issue and setting aside any other business to be conducted, would not the absentee ballots count towards quorum for the purpose of the vote.  Because my understanding is that it is the number of votes being cast that matters.  After all, if you need 100 for quorum and have 105 members present but then 6 of those 100 abstain, you don't have quorum to pass the vote.  Am i wrong it that? 

1 hour ago, Guest Luke said:

I know this is an old post, but I have a question along the same line.  Purely for the purpose of passing a vote on a given issue and setting aside any other business to be conducted, would not the absentee ballots count towards quorum for the purpose of the vote.  Because my understanding is that it is the number of votes being cast that matters.  After all, if you need 100 for quorum and have 105 members present but then 6 of those 100 abstain, you don't have quorum to pass the vote.  Am i wrong it that? 

Yes, you are wrong. A quorum is the number of members that must be present to conduct business. It has nothing to do with how many members are voting. A member who is present, but abstains, still counts toward the quorum.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.