The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can we talk about the multi-quote button?

mikalac

Know which posts you want to quote. (If you're quoting from multiple threads, have a separate tab or window open for each one.) Knowing the order in which you want to quote them would probably be very helpful, too. Click the "MultiQuote" button within the first post you want to quote -- a pop-up box will appear that says "Reply to 1 quoted post(s)" (or "Clear"). Now click the "MultiQuote" button within the second post you want to quote -- notice the pop-up will change to "Reply to 2 quoted post(s)". Repeat for the third, fourth, etc. When you're ready to start typing your reply, click on the "Reply to x quoted post(s)" and then have fun cutting down the quotes to manageable chunks. ;)

Also, be sure you the cursor is outside of (below) the quoted text box before you start replying; I've noticed that sometimes the cursor ends up inside the box, and then your reply is included as part of the quote.

Staying within the forum system and not augmenting it with steps from outside systems, how do the posters use the multiquote button to greatest advantage?  Please provide a step by step tutorial along with your explanations.

If this is not the proper forum for this question, then please suggest another.

This is a test.

Know which posts you want to quote. (If you're quoting from multiple threads, have a separate tab or window open for each one.) Knowing the order in which you want to quote them would probably be very helpful, too. Click the "MultiQuote" button within the first post you want to quote -- a pop-up box will appear that says "Reply to 1 quoted post(s)" (or "Clear"). Now click the "MultiQuote" button within the second post you want to quote -- notice the pop-up will change to "Reply to 2 quoted post(s)". Repeat for the third, fourth, etc. When you're ready to start typing your reply, click on the "Reply to x quoted post(s)" and then have fun cutting down the quotes to manageable chunks. ;)

Also, be sure you the cursor is outside of (below) the quoted text box before you start replying; I've noticed that sometimes the cursor ends up inside the box, and then your reply is included as part of the quote.

This is another test.

And once you're ready to start typing, it can sometimes be helpful to toggle BBCode Mode off and on. Use the "switch" icon in the upper left corner of the blue area surrounding the text box.

A third test.

Staying within the forum system and not augmenting it with steps from outside systems, how do the posters use the multiquote button to greatest advantage?  Please provide a step by step tutorial along with your explanations.

If this is not the proper forum for this question, then please suggest another.

Test 1

Test 2

And once you're ready to start typing, it can sometimes be helpful to toggle BBCode Mode off and on. Use the "switch" icon in the upper left corner of the blue area surrounding the text box.

Test 3

It helped me get out of the quote box. Is that its benefit?

That's one. 

You might also want insert a blank line between the quoted text and your response.

Also remember that you can edit your posts if they don't look quite like you intended (though any significant edits should be noted . . . and probably avoided once replies have been posted).

Is the quote option available to guests?  I can't make it work.

Norm asked, "Hey, that worked. Now about this BBC Mode icon, how does that help me? "

I have found that in order to a copy and paste, say from a Word Document, I must turn off the "BBC Code Mode", whatever that is. Then I can copy and paste just fine. I discovered that just from trying different things that would enable copy and paste. So, what is "BBC Code Mode" anyway?

Is the quote option available to guests?  I can't make it work.

Do you not have a "quote" button at the bottom right of each post? If not, can you use the code [ quote ] quoted text [ /quote ] (without the spaces)?

So, what is "BBC Code Mode" anyway?

It's similar to HTML mode vs WYSIWYG mode, basically. With BBC Code Mode on, you see the text and the formatting codes ( [ quote ], [ b ] for bold, [ i ] for italics, etc., with of course their closing partners). With BBC Code Mode off, you see the pretty quote boxes and the bolded or italicized text, and you can click on the icons to accomplish formatting rather than inputting (and knowing) the codes.

Is the quote option available to guests?

Yes. Clicking on the "Quote" button on any post will open a "Reply" text box with the selected post in a "Quote" box. Here's an example of a Guest post using the "Quote" feature.

Norm asked, "Hey, that worked. Now about this BBC Mode icon, how does that help me? "

I have found that in order to a copy and paste, say from a Word Document, I must turn off the "BBC Code Mode", whatever that is. Then I can copy and paste just fine. I discovered that just from trying different things that would enable copy and paste. So, what is "BBC Code Mode" anyway?

Yes, I turn on BBCode Mode so I can copy and paste the BBCode text when I want to break up a "Quote" box (as in this post).

Archived