The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How do you break up a long quote into parts?

How do we break up one long quoted passage into parts, so we can respond separately to different parts of the quote?   I'm referring specifically to how Dan Honemann broke up his quotes from me in post number 3 in this thread:  http://robertsrules.forumflash.com/index.php?/topic/23036-take-off-the-table/

You would then insert your remarks between the two.

And if you choose to leave BBCode Mode before entering your reply (I do), make sure you leave space between the closing of the previous quote and the opening of the next quote. Otherwise you'll have to go back into BBCode Mode to do it.

It's also a nice touch if you leave a blank line between the quote box and your reply.

Not this way:

It looks a bit crowded without a blank line above this sentence.

If you're a more visual/mouse person, you turn (or leave) BBCode Mode off, highlight the portion of the long quote you want to address and press the 'quote' button (looks like a word bubble, next to the twitter bubble, at the top of the reply box.)

How do we break up one long quoted passage into parts, so we can respond separately to different parts of the quote?  

I'm referring specifically to how Dan Honemann broke up his quotes from me in post number 3 in this thread:  http://robertsrules....-off-the-table/

Then just be sure your reply starts *below* the quote box and not inside of it (because for some reason when you do a quote non-BBCode it leaves the cursor inside the quote box), and I'd agree with adding a blank line between the quote box and your response.

If you're a more visual/mouse person, you turn (or leave) BBCode Mode off, highlight the portion of the long quote you want to address and press the 'quote' button (looks like a word bubble, next to the twitter bubble, at the top of the reply box.)

Although, as shown in your post, that method doesn't retain the original poster's name, date, and time of posting; information that can be especially helpful when multi-quoting or when you're not replying to the immediately preceding post.

Yes, and I just realized I should have noted that you did the highlight/click *after* you had the quote in your reply box. (On some other forum software you can highlight someone else's post, click the 'quote' button at the bottom of the post and just quote that portion of the text, but this software quotes the whole post.)

You can add in that information manually, but you have to go into the BBCode to do it. I suppose one way would be to "Quote" the entire post, which will retain the name and post info on the first portion to which you're responding, copy/paste outside of the quote box, cut the first quote down to your first point, then use the word bubble on the copied/pasted text for future points, which wouldn't have the identifying information but ideally would be implied to be related to the first, identified point. Of course, that seems admittedly complex and cumbersome, so if you're concerned about keeping the identifying information on your quoted points, going into BBCode Mode and copy/pasting the opening quote code is likely the best option.

Yes, and I just realized I should have noted that you did the highlight/click *after* you had the quote in your reply box. (On some other forum software you can highlight someone else's post, click the 'quote' button at the bottom of the post and just quote that portion of the text, but this software quotes the whole post.)

You can add in that information manually, but you have to go into the BBCode to do it. I suppose one way would be to "Quote" the entire post, which will retain the name and post info on the first portion to which you're responding, copy/paste outside of the quote box, cut the first quote down to your first point, then use the word bubble on the copied/pasted text for future points, which wouldn't have the identifying information but ideally would be implied to be related to the first, identified point. Of course, that seems admittedly complex and cumbersome, so if you're concerned about keeping the identifying information on your quoted points, going into BBCode Mode and copy/pasting the opening quote code is likely the best option.

So, Dan. You got that?

What I find most annoying about the whole quoting system is that when quoting a post that already contains quoted material, the inner quotations just disappear and have to be re-created from the original posts.

Let's see which looks better . . . 

Method 1:

Previous reply

Original post

My follow-up.

Method 2:

Original post.

Previous reply.

My follow-up.

I think Method 2, quoting from the source post(s), is preferable to trying to "nest" multiple posts (assuming that's what you want to do).

Let's see which looks better . . . 

Method 1:

My follow-up.

Method 2:

My follow-up.

I think Method 2, quoting from the source post(s), is preferable to trying to "nest" multiple posts (assuming that's what you want to do).

I want to do Method 1, but actually I want the message board to do it for me. As we can see, just pressing the Quote button leaves a mess, especially when the previous poster went to some trouble to edit his quotations.

I want to do Method 1, but actually I want the message board to do it for me. 

Okay, thanks. At least we're on the same page.

You might want to experiment with the "other" quote button, the one that I only recently discovered when JayW pointed it out. It's to the left of the "Twitter" icon in the second row of toolbars

I want to do Method 1, but actually I want the message board to do it for me. As we can see, just pressing the Quote button leaves a mess, especially when the previous poster went to some trouble to edit his quotations.

I'll fix it for you as soon as I can.

I trust I'm not the only one who will sleep more soundly tonight.

Archived