crookcofair

Can Chairperson second a motion?

5 posts in this topic

We have a small board of 5 members.  Is the chairperson/president able to second a motion?  I have not been able to find anything about this in Robert's Rules of Order.  I do have the 11th edition, if that helps.  She did second a motion back in October and she voted for it because there was a tie.  The members that voted against are saying she wasn't allowed to second and may want to re-visit the motion and vote again.  Can this be done?

Thanks for your help.

In such a small board the chair is permitted to fully participate (i.e. make motions, engage in debate, and vote). And, in such a small board, seconds aren't required. See the Index for references to "small board rules".

The "rule" that the president can only vote in case of a tie is a myth, even is large assemblies.  See FAQ#1.  

This is particularly so in the case of a small board, where the president can participate as fully as any member.

There's nothing to revisit.

The members that voted against are saying she wasn't allowed to second and may want to re-visit the motion and vote again.  Can this be done?

It may be possible to rescind (or otherwise amend) the previously adopted motion. But this has nothing to do with the fact that the chair seconded the motion.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor