The Official RONR Q & A Forums

two questions about table/postpone

bigred73

1. If something is postponed indefinitely, what is the procedure for unpostponing (I probably made that word up but it works for me)  it?

2. I understand that if something is tabled then it must be untabled (perhaps another made up word) no later than the next meeting. If it is not untabled, is the original motion allowed to be reintroduced at a later time?

Thanks. This forum is extermely helpful to a rookie!

1. If something is postponed indefinitely, what is the procedure for unpostponing (I probably made that word up but it works for me)  it?

2. I understand that if something is tabled then it must be untabled (perhaps another made up word) no later than the next meeting. If it is not untabled, is the original motion allowed to be reintroduced at a later time?

A motion postponed indefinitely has been killed, just the same as if it had been voted down. It can be renewed (use this word instead of "unpostponed") at any later session if it remains applicable.

If a motion has been laid on the table, it can be taken from the table (use this phrase instead of "untabled") within prescribed limits. If it is not, it dies, but can be renewed at any later session if it remains applicable.

Thanks back atcha.

1. There is no procedure for unpostponing indefinitely.  The intention of the motion to Postpone Indefinitely is to kill the motion permanently, but without technically voting on it directly.  

2.  Yes.  Although the motion to Lay on the Table is usually not in order, especially if the purpose is to postpone the question to the next meeting.  To take a motion back off the table, the motion is called to Take From the Table.  

Archived