The Official RONR Q & A Forums

"Start New Topic" button

Is it possible that the "Start New Topic" button could be added to more pages?  Currently, if I am reading in the general discussion forum, I see the button only on the general discussion page which lists the threads.  What just happened is I was reading a thread about minutes and it prompted a question for me. I don't want to hijack the thread I'm reading, so I go to the upper right and notice the button isn't there. I had to go to the general discussion page.

Not that it's a hardship to do that - but I wonder if those less familiar with the forum have the same experience. They read a thread, have a question, and post it in the thread they are reading. then someone tells them to post it as a new topic. Sometimes the newbie explains they didn't know how.

Just thinking if that button could be added to each thread's page, it might help lessen that hijack problem.

(edited to fix a spelling error - lessen)

If this was an open-source bulletin board program (e.g. phBB, which I've used), there would probably be someone who's done just that and made the modification available to all. But this program (IP Board) is proprietary and so any such modification, even if available, would probably entail a hefty fee.

But I think it's a good idea.

If this was an open-source bulletin board program (e.g. phBB, which I've used), there would probably be someone who's done just that and made the modification available to all. But this program (IP Board) is proprietary and so any such modification, even if available, would probably entail a hefty fee.

But I think it's a good idea.

So do I.  I believe it would make the forum a little more user friendly and cut down on guests posting new questions in existing threads.

One option would be to post a topic titled: "IMPORTANT: Read this first" and "pin" it to the top of the topics list. Not that everyone (anyone?) will read it but, like chicken soup, it can't hurt. It could be locked so no one could add comments. And it could include a link to the "Start New Topic" page.

Is it possible that the "Start New Topic" button could be added to more pages?  Currently, if I am reading in the general discussion forum, I see the button only on the general discussion page which lists the threads.  What just happened is I was reading a thread about minutes and it prompted a question for me. I don't want to hijack the thread I'm reading, so I go to the upper right and notice the button isn't there. I had to go to the general discussion page.

Not that it's a hardship to do that - but I wonder if those less familiar with the forum have the same experience. They read a thread, have a question, and post it in the thread they are reading. then someone tells them to post it as a new topic. Sometimes the newbie explains they didn't know how.

Just thinking if that button could be added to each thread's page, it might help lessen that hijack problem.

(edited to fix a spelling error - lessen)

Sounds like a good idea to me. Let's see what Boss Lady says about this.

One option would be to post a topic titled: "IMPORTANT: Read this first" and "pin" it to the top of the topics list. Not that everyone (anyone?) will read it but, like chicken soup, it can't hurt. It could be locked so no one could add comments. And it could include a link to the "Start New Topic" page.

The top of the General Discussion page already says, right above the topic list, "General discussion about Robert’s Rules of Order and parliamentary procedure. Post your questions by starting a New Topic in this forum." And the "Start New Topic" button is right underneath that. I suppose that having an indirect link to a "read this first" message might get a few more people's attention, but I wouldn't count on having people read indirectly what they're not reading when it's right in front of them.

The top of the General Discussion page already says, right above the topic list, "General discussion about Robert’s Rules of Order and parliamentary procedure. Post your questions by starting a New Topic in this forum."

Indeed it does. But I think many guests just start looking for a topic that addresses their question (which is how many forums work).

And many forums have a "read this first" or "please read before posting" topic pinned to the top of the list. So it's something many users are familiar with.

Call it a belt-and-suspenders approach.

Archived