The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Quoting posts

2 minutes ago, Hieu H. Huynh said:
5 minutes ago, Hieu H. Huynh said:

This is a test on quoting posts.

Click on "Quote" and the text from the post appears in the area for writing replies.

However, if your quoted text includes a quote, you have to do something else to have the quote appear as well:

Select everything that you want to quote, as if you were going to copy and paste it. Then click somewhere in the selected area. A small pop-up box "Quote this" appears. Click on that box and the selected material appears in the area for writing replies.

7 minutes ago, Hieu H. Huynh said:
10 minutes ago, Hieu H. Huynh said:

Click on "Quote" and the text from the post appears in the area for writing replies.

However, if your quoted text includes a quote, you have to do something else to have the quote appear as well:

Select everything that you want to quote, as if you were going to copy and paste it. Then click somewhere in the selected area. A small pop-up box "Quote this" appears. Click on that box and the selected material appears in the area for writing replies.

I just did it again.

1 minute ago, Hieu H. Huynh said:
7 minutes ago, Hieu H. Huynh said:
10 minutes ago, Hieu H. Huynh said:

I just did it again.

And again.

21 hours ago, Hieu H. Huynh said:

I just did it again.

And again.

And one last time!

A few minutes ago I made a post in the General Discussion forum and tried to quote Jeepien (Gary Novosielsk) ONCE.  But, the first time I tried, I wasn't signed in, so I signed in and tried again.  It looked like the system was going to quote him twice, so I exited that thread and went back to the General Discussion forum and tried again.  Much to my surprise, the system now showed me quoting Gary THREE times!   So, I tried deleting Gary's quotes but couldn't figure out how to do it.  So, I exited from the thread again and went back to the General Discussion forum.  Then I clicked on the thread again, certain that I had done it right this time.  WRONG!!!   I was not quoting Gary FOUR times!!!   I could not figure out how to delete them!

What is going on?  How do we "clear" the system if we inadvertently quote a post more than once?

And speaking of quoting a post, please get us back the post (message) numbers!!  I can't refer you to the particular post, but only to the thread, which is here:  http://robertsrules.forumflash.com/index.php?/topic/26937-swearing-in-of-new-board-members/

by the way, I thought that our option to delete a post had also disappeared, but I finally found it.  It is hidden in the "options" link  at the bottom the posting window.  You have to first click on "Options", then it offers you the delete option.  It is not prominently displayed like it used to be.   I did not try it to see if it works or if using it would have cleared up my multiple quotes problem.

One more problem I noticed:  In another thread, i tried to highlight in bold someone's quote to call attention to it.  However, the sysem would bold only  half of the sentence!  The sentence I was trying to bold contained an old fashioned quote (not using the quote feature, just adding quotation marks), but it would not bold the quoted portion.  I tried several times.  What's up with that?   I'll come back and post a link to the thread, since we can't cite post numbers any more.

Edited to add:  I was trying to "bold" this sentence: Your bylaw explicitly says a "majority vote of the total Active membership" which means what it says: a majority of all active members."  

Just now, when i tried to put that sentence in italics, the system let me italicize only the first four words, rather than the entire sentence, just like it was doing when I tried to bold it in the general discussion forum.  Here is the thread:  http://robertsrules.forumflash.com/index.php?/topic/26934-23-membership-vote/

It was a quote from Guest Calbear_77. 

This is screwy.

3 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

A few minutes ago I made a post in the General Discussion forum and tried to quote Jeepien (Gary Novosielsk) ONCE.  But, the first time I tried, I wasn't signed in, so I signed in and tried again.  It looked like the system was going to quote him twice, so I exited that thread and went back to the General Discussion forum and tried again.  Much to my surprise, the system now showed me quoting Gary THREE times!   So, I tried deleting Gary's quotes but couldn't figure out how to do it.  So, I exited from the thread again and went back to the General Discussion forum.  Then I clicked on the thread again, certain that I had done it right this time.  WRONG!!!   I was not quoting Gary FOUR times!!!   I could not figure out how to delete them!

I have found out that if you quote something or type something in the replies box, it automatically saves it. This could be useful when compared to the old system in which nothing was saved. I typed this response without posting it, left the thread, looked at other threads, and came back to it. It was still all there!

On the other hand, you would have to delete whatever you type or quote if you don't want it to show up.

1 hour ago, Richard Brown said:

Edited to add:  I was trying to "bold" this sentence: Your bylaw explicitly says a "majority vote of the total Active membership" which means what it says: a majority of all active members."

I see what the problem is. The quoted text contains formatting (from the original post) which won't let you bold it. You have to copy and paste it as plain text and then bold it.

Here it goes:

Edited to add:  I was trying to "bold" this sentence:Your bylaw explicitly says a "majority vote of the total Active membership" which means what it says: a majority of all active members."  

5 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

Thanks, Hieu!  I'll try both of the tricks you pointed out.  Having the post I was quoting show up four times was frustrating, as was not being able to bold the sentence I wanted to highlight.

And for me, it is easier to delete quotes while on my phone than it is when using my computer. On my computer, I have to hold down the "Ctrl" key and right click on the quote box before I see an option to "Remove Quote".

On 12/9/2015 at 11:22 AM, Shmuel Gerber said:

Thanks, Hieu. That should come in very handy. Especially since the code-editor mode seems to have vanished.

The code editor mode is, to me, essential, and I hope it can be turned back on.  I could have sworn it was there immediately after the new conversion. I had to look for it, but I believe I found it.  Now it apparently has vanished,  This is terrible because I think it was the only way to delete a quote once it has been copied into the editor.  You can delete text from within a quote, but not the surrounding box.  Also, if you quote something and trim everything below the quote, you can never type below the quote again.  Code editor cures that problem as well.

Things are getting worse by the day!

Here's another wierdness:  Hovering the cursor in the typing area produces the tool tip: [Hold ctrl and right click for more options].  But doing that does nothing except show the right-click Windows context menu that you would get if you did not hold the ctrl key.  Whassup wit dat?

Also, is it my imagination, or did there used to be a background color choice (not just text color), useful for highlighting?  Maybe it was never there, but if I could get it, I'd be happy.

15 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

And speaking of quoting a post, please get us back the post (message) numbers!!

It looks like you have to link directly to a post. For example, your post here. Or quote it. Or refer to the date and time of the post (12/11/2015 6:29 PM).

On the bright side, all of this works much better on mobile.

I think the developers/managers of this website have screwed up a formerly good thing.  I don't see how a darn one of these "improvements" is an improvement.  If by chance one or two really are improvements, they are outweighed ten to one by the things they made worse.  Some are little nitpicky things, like having to click twice instead of once to get my sign in name to appear automatically when I log in, and some are much more problematic, like not having post numbers, problems with quotes, clunky appearance, losing settings, fewer threads on a page causing us to have to click through more pages to review recent threads or search results, and on and on. And I miss being able to see what members are on line by just glancing at the bottom of the screen. Now we have to click on a separate link and scroll through two pages of guests.  Ugh.

Oh, and having the system ask for "Title" instead of "Message topic" or "Topic Title" for new threads is a real doozy.  What on earth were they thinking??

And editing a post is now a lot more difficult!!

Archived