The Official RONR Q & A Forums
Bruce Lages

RONR in the news

Another news story, this one more directly involving RONR. In our local paper a week or two ago was a story about the Republican convention rules. The conventions - or at least the last one - use the rules of order of the House of Representatives, which greatly concentrates power in the chair position. However, one Republican official, I believe from Oregon, was reported to be proposing to the rules committee a change in the rules to using RONR, in order to shift the bulk of the power from the chair to the delegates themselves. I wish I had saved the article to quote it in more detail, but this was certainly the major point. Should be an interesting situation, especially if the possibility of a contested convention materializes!

Well, it doesn't follow that it's not happening.  The RNC didn't recommend that the Rules Committee make the change, but the Rules Committee still can make that recommendation in its report.  Michael Steele, in a commentary that misstated large portions of RONR, raised a worthwhile point - an organization with so much infighting and a convention requiring tight scheduling would need well-crafted special rules of order to make RONR work, and there isn't time between now and June to draft them.  

The national Libertarian Party has long used RONR.  Of course they add some special rules of order, such as eliminating the lowest vote getter at the end of each vote (say for President).

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.