The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ex. Board filling vacancies

D_K

The bylaws of a political party provide as follows: "Any vacancy occurring in the offices of [list of officers] shall be filled by an election held at the next regular or special meeting of the County Central Committee."  In another section the bylaws state "The County Executive Board conducts party business between regular meetings of the County Central Committee."

A county executive board has held a meeting to fill a vacancy.  I believe that bylaw language quoted above does not allow them to do so, and only a meeting of the county central committee can fill a vacancy.  Does anything in RONR support an argument to the contrary?

I agree with Dr. Stackpole but perhaps for.... or with the addition of.... a different reason:  The bylaws say specifically that vacancies " shall be filled by an election held at the next regular or special meeting of the County Central Committee."  That specific provision would prevail over the more general provision granting the County Executive Board the authority to "conduct party business between regular meetings of the County Central Committee."   I agree that only the County Central Committee may fill those vacancies.

8 hours ago, jstackpo said:

No.

P. 467 comes close to giving the ExecBoard the power but the phrase "without reserving to the society..." (p. 467, line 32) means that your bylaws, that do "reserve to the society...", supersede RONR.  Your Central Committee retains the power to fill vacancies, not the ExecBoard.

3 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

I agree with Dr. Stackpole but perhaps for.... or with the addition of.... a different reason:  The bylaws say specifically that vacancies " shall be filled by an election held at the next regular or special meeting of the County Central Committee."  That specific provision would prevail over the more general provision granting the County Executive Board the authority to "conduct party business between regular meetings of the County Central Committee."   I agree that only the County Central Committee may fill those vacancies.

Looks like the same reason to me. :)

Archived