The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Candidate Observing Ballot Count

Guest Michael Gregoire

Guest Michael Gregoire

Our organization's bylaws indicate that RONR shall be followed, except as otherwise provided in a specific bylaw. Every year, at the first meeting of the board after the AGM, the board members elect a vice-president during the meeting. Nominations are made during the same meeting. The nominations and election are conducted by ballot.

One board member has claimed that RONR indicates that any candidate can observe the counting of the ballot. Under the board's current procedures for election of vice-president, this is problematic since each board member hand-writes the name of the candidate for which they are voting. (The board has approximately 12 members and there are normally only 1-3 candidates) 

I've searched through RONR and I can't find a reference to candidates observing ballot counts. Can someone point me to a reference?

9 minutes ago, Guest Michael Gregoire said:

I've searched through RONR and I can't find a reference to candidates observing ballot counts. Can someone point me to a reference?

If you read the provisions cited by Mr. Huynh, you will note that there is NOT a provision regarding the candidates observing the counting of the ballots.  However, it is my experience that the practice is sometimes allowed, particularly in large assemblies.  It's up to the assembly whether to allow it.

Thank you both so much for the quick replies. It's my understanding that you've effectively confirmed that:

- there is no provision in RONR making it standard for a candidate to observe a ballot count, but

- it would not be unusual or contrary to RONR to set an organization-specific procedure allowing for it. 

1 minute ago, Michael Gregoire said:

Thank you both so much for the quick replies. It's my understanding that you've effectively confirmed that:

- there is no provision in RONR making it standard for a candidate to observe a ballot count, but

- it would not be unusual or contrary to RONR to set an organization-specific procedure allowing for it. 

Yep.  You've got it!  Glad we could help. 

23 hours ago, Hieu H. Huynh said:

See RONR 11th ed., p. 414, ll. 6-20.

17 hours ago, Michael Gregoire said:

I would think it's unusual, but it would be completely unecessary if the rule Mr. Huynh cited is followed.

Archived