The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Tabling a divided question

Guest Randy

9 hours ago, Guest Randy said:

If a question has been divided does a motion to lay on the table act in an omnibus fashion on all of the  questions that have not been dealt with?

I think this is an excellent question, and as best I have been able to determine, there is nothing in RONR which directly addresses it.

However, a careful reading of SDC 2 of the motion to Lay on the Table (RONR, 11th ed., pp. 210-211) leads me to believe that a motion to Lay on the Table is applicable only to the immediately pending part of a question which has been divided, and its adoption will have no effect on the part or parts not yet dealt with. The several parts into which a divisible motion has been divided do not adhere to each other in any way.

On 10/1/2016 at 6:59 AM, Daniel H. Honemann said:

I think this is an excellent question, and as best I have been able to determine, there is nothing in RONR which directly addresses it.

However, a careful reading of SDC 2 of the motion to Lay on the Table (RONR, 11th ed., pp. 210-211) leads me to believe that a motion to Lay on the Table is applicable only to the immediately pending part of a question which has been divided, and its adoption will have no effect on the part or parts not yet dealt with. The several parts into which a divisible motion has been divided do not adhere to each other in any way.

And as a practical matter, this makes sense because the motion may have been divided for the very purpose of laying some parts on the table in order to deal with the more urgent parts and other urgent matters.

Archived