The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resigning after election and filling the vacancy

Alexis Hunt

Suppose an officer is elected, accepts the position, and then resigns later in the meeting.

Is notice required to fill the resulting vacancy?

Does this change if the election was to fill a vacancy, and notice was properly given of the election?

Does this change if the election is not effective until after the meeting?

16 hours ago, Alexis Hunt said:

Suppose an officer is elected, accepts the position, and then resigns later in the meeting.

Is notice required to fill the resulting vacancy?

Does this change if the election was to fill a vacancy, and notice was properly given of the election?

Does this change if the election is not effective until after the meeting?

14 hours ago, Alexis Hunt said:

Ah, in my haste I omitted one important detail about the original scenario: No notice was given of the election, because it was an election prescribed by the bylaws for, say, the annual meeting.

You're painting with a very broad brush, but I think it's safe to say that the answer to all of these questions is "no", no further notice is required if the election to fill the resulting vacancy is held (or, at least, commenced) before the end of the session at which the election took place. This is because all members were on notice that an election would be held during this session to choose someone to fill the office involved.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.