The Official RONR Q & A Forums

members speak two languages

Guest Connie

I'm new here and I didn't see a message board for this topic so I apologize if its been covered.

Our organization has members who speak a different language. We would like to change this so we can include English speaking members in our meeting. Is there a rule/guideline for this?

Conduct the meeting in both languages perhaps?

Thank you.

On 4/11/2017 at 8:37 PM, Guest Connie said:

I'm new here and I didn't see a message board for this topic so I apologize if its been covered.

Our organization has members who speak a different language. We would like to change this so we can include English speaking members in our meeting. Is there a rule/guideline for this?

Thank you.

You might be able to arrange for translators.  I would suggest that exactly how they would would function be included in the rules of debate. 

I did preside over a meeting in which was conducted in American English and isiZulu. 

On 4/13/2017 at 11:06 AM, Guest Who's Coming to Dinner said:

Are you excluding the English speakers now? That would be wrong, as members have a right to attend meetings regardless of language. They might bring their own Old Frisian interpreters.

My interpretation of the original post is that no members are excluded from the meeting, but those who speak English only cannot participate because they do not understand the language.

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:37 PM, Guest Connie said:

Thank you.

No, there are no rules in RONR relating to including English speaking members in meetings which are conducted in some other language.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.