The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Need second for officer recommendation?

paulmcclintock

RONR, page 356, lines 5-8 states:  "If an officer, in reporting, makes a recommendation, he should not himself move its implementation, but such a motion can be made by another member as soon as the officer has concluded his report."

After another member makes the motion, does it need a second?

I think not, since the recommendation from the officer already ensures that a second member wishes for the motion to be considered, assuming that the officer is a member.  But I wonder if there are other opinions and the reasoning for them.

1 hour ago, Richard Brown said:

Paul, I'm of the opinion that such a motion does need a second.  RONR explicitly says that motions made on behalf of a committee by the committee chairman do not need a second, but there is no similar exception for a motion made by a member based on an officer's report.

I don't think that's the right analogy. If a member makes a motion to grant another member's request, no second is required, because it is presumed that the member making the request also wishes for the request to be granted. The situation seems to be the same here.

I would say that no second is required, provided that the officer is a member of the assembly.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.