The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Acceptance of Nomination after Nominations Closed

rhammar

An organization holds monthly meetings. Its bylaws provide that three months before the June meeting the board shall appoint a nominating committee that shall present nominees to the organization’s members during its May meeting. At the organization’s May meeting, the two nominees of the nominations committee were announced, and other persons were nominated from the floor. Before the end of this meeting the chair declared nominations closed.

A question has arisen over the status of the committee’s two nominees. Neither had “accepted” their nomination prior to the close of nominations during the May meeting. Some are contending that their failure to “accept” their nominations prior to the close of nominations precludes them from being considered as nominees, except of course if nominated from the floor during the June meeting.

RONR page 434 ll. 1-5 states that it is “desirable” for the nominating committee to obtain the acceptance of nomination for each person it wishes to nominate. This was not done in the case of the two nominees.

There is no requirement in RONR for nominating committee nominees or any other nominees to formally accept their nominations prior to the election. While having nominating committee nominees accept the nomination might be desirable, it is not required unless there is a requirement to do so in your own rules or bylaws.

1 hour ago, rhammar said:

Some are contending that their failure to “accept” their nominations prior to the close of nominations precludes them from being considered as nominees, except of course if nominated from the floor during the June meeting.

This assertion has no support within Robert's Rules of Order.

Per Robert's Rules of Order, it is only after election where the consent of the electee is a factor.

Before, the election, you are free to nominate any one, even celebrities, even sitting governors of your state, or even sitting presidents of the U.S., without the consent of the president, the governor, or the movie star. -- No parliamentary rule will stop you.

There is no requirement for those nominated to accept a nomination to office - people may not have considered running but will end up accepting election once elected.  It also allows members to provide an alternative to those who also nominated for office (there is no option to for no to any candidates - the only option is to vote for another person.)  As such, no acceptance of nominations are required.  However, anyone elected to office has to accept election (either by formally accepting election - i.e. "I would like to thank you for electing me" - or by not refusing election when notified)

4 hours ago, Rev Ed said:

. . . . However, anyone elected to office has to accept election (either by formally accepting election - i.e. "I would like to thank you for electing me" - or by not refusing election when notified)

Rev Ed, I don't think that's exactly right. If a member is present when he is elected, he doesn't have to say anything. He is deemed to have accepted the election unless he quickly declines. If he is not present, he is deemed to have accepted the election unless he declines immediately upon being notified of his election He does not have to affirmatively accept his election.

Edited to add:  Here is the exact language from page 444 of RONR:

"TIME AT WHICH AN ELECTION TAKES EFFECT. An election to an office becomes final immediately if the candidate is present and does not decline, or if he is absent but has consented to his candidacy. If he is absent and has not consented to his candidacy, the election becomes final when he is notified of his election, provided that he does not immediately decline. If he does decline, the election is incomplete, and another vote can be taken immediately or at the next meeting without further notice. After an election has become final as stated in this paragraph, it is too late to reconsider (37) the vote on the election."

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph with citation to RONR. Also corrected typo in 1st sentence

On 6/2/2017 at 10:31 PM, Richard Brown said:

Rev Ed, I don't think that's exactly right. If a member is present when he is elected, he doesn't have to say anything. He is deemed to have accepted the election unless he quickly declines. If he is not present, he is deemed to have accepted the election unless he declines immediately upon being notified of his election He does not have to affirmatively accept his election.

Yes, thanks for the correction Richard.  At the same time, I was trying to make a point that an election essentially has to be accepted but a nomination cannot be refused.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.