The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion by membership at annual meeting

Guest Todd Janis

My organization is wrestling with the same question at our annual meeting. The key passage in our bylaws is this..."The administration of the affairs of the Association shall be vested in the Board of Directors." Some have said the use of the word "administration" means the board members have exclusive rights other than bylaw passage and election of board members. Do other believe this sounds correct? (I understand my organization is the real decider)

The motion was adopted and is in effect.

I was rereading Section 4 p 47 l 30-35 clearly states that a majority vote adopts a motion*, thus when the chair stated that the vote was 18-2 in favor the motion then it passed notwithstanding p 49-51 which as I read it are recommendations - not requirements - for disposing of the motion.

*with certain restrictions

I am of the view that the chair's announcement that the motion is adopted or lost is an essential part of the chair's announcing the result. If the assembly feels otherwise, then the assembly might also decide to discipline the board for not carrying out the motion adopted by the membership. It should again determine not only whether the board's decision was correct, but whether the board acted in good faith.

17 hours ago, Dutchman said:

My organization is wrestling with the same question at our annual meeting. The key passage in our bylaws is this..."The administration of the affairs of the Association shall be vested in the Board of Directors." Some have said the use of the word "administration" means the board members have exclusive rights other than bylaw passage and election of board members. Do other believe this sounds correct? (I understand my organization is the real decider)

It is up to you organization to interpret it own bylaws. 

2 minutes ago, Josh Martin said:

I am of the view that the chair's announcement that the motion is adopted or lost is an essential part of the chair's announcing the result. If the assembly feels otherwise, then the assembly might also decide to discipline the board for not carrying out the motion adopted by the membership. It should again determine not only whether the board's decision was correct, but whether the board acted in good faith.

I agree that the chair's announcement that the motion is adopted or lost is an essential part of the chair's announcing the result of a vote. It is only after the chair has declared that the motion is adopted or lost that members can take any of the steps listed on pages 408-409.

" ... whenever it is stated in this book that a certain procedural motion relating to a vote that has been taken is in order immediately after the result of a vote has been announced (see, for example, p. 408), that interval begins as soon as the chair has pronounced the first two points."  (RONR, p. 48, ll. 30-34) 

10 hours ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

I agree that the chair's announcement that the motion is adopted or lost is an essential part of the chair's announcing the result of a vote. It is only after the chair has declared that the motion is adopted or lost that members can take any of the steps listed on pages 408-409.

" ... whenever it is stated in this book that a certain procedural motion relating to a vote that has been taken is in order immediately after the result of a vote has been announced (see, for example, p. 408), that interval begins as soon as the chair has pronounced the first two points."  (RONR, p. 48, ll. 30-34) 

Q. What happens when _____

(a.) the chair FAILS to announce the result of a COUNTED vote, and

(b.) the chair continues with the next item on the agenda?

Q. Do 100% of the possible motion on page 408 become impossible? become out of order?

19 hours ago, Kim Goldsworthy said:

Q. What happens when _____

(a.) the chair FAILS to announce the result of a COUNTED vote, and

(b.) the chair continues with the next item on the agenda?

Q. Do 100% of the possible motion on page 408 become impossible? become out of order?

What ought to happen is that someone raises a point of order that the chair failed to announce the result of the previous vote.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.