The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ad Hoc Committees

Guest Margaret

8 minutes ago, Guest Margaret said:

An Ad Hoc Committee has completed its assignment and is ready to disband. Does a motion need to be made to disband? How should the minute reflect disbanding of this committee? Thanks for your help!

"A special (select, or ad hoc) committee is a committee appointed, as the need arises, to carry out a specified task, at the completion of which—that is, on presentation of its final report to the assembly—it automatically ceases to exist."  (RONR, 11th ed., p. 492)

As Danielk pointed out, yousend in your report ad then the Committee is done.  I would add that I would wait until after the superior body (i.e. the Board or the general membership) that you are reporting to has had a chance to review your report at its next meeting.  The superior body could ask the Committee for more information on a specific  part of the Report (or if the Report is lacking in some way, for a completely revised report.)  I have seen a Committee 'report' consist only of recommendations without any other information.  The Board then sent the Report back to the Committee for an explanation on each recmmendation.

Rather than moving to Adjourn, a motion at the final meeting of the committee to Rise and Report is certainly appropriate.  

If the committee keeps minutes (not typically the case) the motion would be recorded there. 

If a board or committee meeting is adjourned without any provision having been made for future meetings, the next meeting is held at the call of the chairman (see also pp. 499, 501). Consequently, since there usually is no fixed hour for adjournment, the unqualified motion to adjourn is usually privileged in boards or committees. When a special committee has completed the business referred to it, however, it “rises” and reports, which is equivalent to the main motion to adjourn.  [emphasis added; RONR §21. Adjourn ]    

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.