The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Parl Authority in bylaws

Guest Sara

Don't mean to step on toes here....but...am on bylaws committee to revise.  Current bylaws do not include a Parliamentary Authority, and I have been arguing for one (RONR of course).

Members have said "no one understands RONR and it just confuses"...you know, the old argument.  The two attorneys involved both are quite vocal about excluding RONR.  I need some material to support my cause!  Why do attorneys seem to want to reject a parliamentary authority in the bylaws?  Don't they KNOW that bylaws supersede the parl authority except if silent when a question arises?

Thanks for any advice.

I could speculate that they don't like RONR because they are not trained in it.  :)

Basically, you can tell them that RONR is used by most groups, and is incredibly flexible.  It can lead to orderly meetings and will settle most of the questions about rules.  Do they want to spend most of the club time arguing about what the rule is, or do they wand to conduct the business of the organization.

You can also tell them that there a number books, such as Robert's Rules in Brief, that can help them. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.