The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Rescinded motion

Jamies

The Board I sit on has been operating under the assumption that to rescind a motion adopted by a previous board (or simply to rescind a motion) that a 2/3 majority vote of the Board was needed (without previous notice given). In looking into this further, I would like to seek clarification on the specifics. The background is this: The Board voted to remove a member from a social media platform. The member in question was never removed from the social media platform due to the committee that moderates the group disputing the order of the Board. When the new board was in place, the members that remained on the Board brought the matter up again with the new Board. During discussions, a member of the Board (new to the board) made a motion to rescind the previous motion. A vote took place that was defeated as it did not reach the 2/3 majority thought to be needed. There are nine members of the Board and all were present. I am now questioning the required 2/3 because of this statement:

Majority of the entire membership: In a situation in which there’s no notice, a motion to Rescind or to Amend Something Previously Adopted can be adopted if it receives the affirmative vote of a majority of the entire membership.

While there was no previous notice given that the motion to rescind was going to be made, all 9 members of the Board were present and voted. So, would the motion to rescind actually be adopted because all 9 members were present (with no previous notice given) - 5 voted to rescind and 4 opposed the motion?

Note: Board meetings do not include non-board members at meetings. 

Thank you

"In an assembly, except when applied to a constitution, bylaws, or special rules of order, require (a) a two-thirds vote, (b) a majority vote when notice of intent to make the motion, stating the complete substance of the proposed change, has been given at the previous meeting within a quarterly time interval or in the call of the present meeting, or (c) a vote of a majority of the entire membership—any one of which will suffice."  RONR (11th ed.), p. 306

I'm not sure where you got that statement from.

21 minutes ago, Jamies said:

While there was no previous notice given that the motion to rescind was going to be made, all 9 members of the Board were present and voted. So, would the motion to rescind actually be adopted because all 9 members were present (with no previous notice given) - 5 voted to rescind and 4 opposed the motion?

Yes, but since it was apparently declared defeated because of a misunderstanding of the vote required to adopt the motion, it's too late now to raise a point of order.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.