The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Parliamentarian

Guest System Controls

In describing the duties of a parliamentarian, RONR says "A member of an assembly who acts as a parliamentarian has the same duty as the presiding officer to maintain a position of impartiality, and therefore does not make motions, participate in debate, or vote on any question except in the case of a ballot vote" (RONR, p.467, ll. 8-12). Since these restrictions on the presiding officer are relaxed under the small board rues, I wonder if they are also relaxed for a member parliamentarian on a small board.

2 minutes ago, Bruce Lages said:

In describing the duties of a parliamentarian, RONR says "A member of an assembly who acts as a parliamentarian has the same duty as the presiding officer to maintain a position of impartiality, and therefore does not make motions, participate in debate, or vote on any question except in the case of a ballot vote" (RONR, p.467, ll. 8-12). Since these restrictions on the presiding officer are relaxed under the small board rues, I wonder if they are also relaxed for a member parliamentarian on a small board.

No they are not.  I believe we have discussed this before but I'm far too lazy to do a search (and it might have even been on the old forum).

Edited by George Mervosh

1 hour ago, System Control said:

If a Parliamentarian is appointed (not elected) by the President with the approval of the board and membership, can it be revoked by the president?

What, exactly, do your bylaws say about appointment of a parliamentarian? Must the person appointed by the president actually be approved by both the board and the membership before assuming office?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.