llws1950

petition for no confidence

7 posts in this topic

Is it possible to file a petition of no confidence against only part of a board of directors.  We are dealing with a touchy situation with a board with an even number for the time being.  3 are voting one way and 3 the other.  three are doing a great job, 3 are not..

Or does it have to be individual?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, George Mervosh said:

Start by looking at this   http://www.robertsrules.com/faq.html#7   Other than the fact it's a main motion, no other special type of rule applies to it.

RONR (11th ed.) refers to petitions only in connection with the making of nominations (p. 438, ll. 9-16), except that, in addition, on page 268 we are told that an Objection to the Consideration of a Question can be applied to petitions and communications that are not from a superior body, as well as to main motions. I very much doubt, however, that a nominating petition is the sort of petition referred to on page 268.

I suppose an organization must adopt rules of some sort in order for petitions to have any force or effect. It would appear that nominating petitions must be authorized in the bylaws, and if this is so, must all other kinds of petitions be similarly authorized?

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, llws1950 said:

Is it possible to file a petition of no confidence against only part of a board of directors.

With whom would you file this petition? By what rule do you expect it to have effect? Nothing in Robert's gives such a petition any force.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A petition would only mean that people that signed it express no confidence with the three board member.  It could be given as correspondence to the board, which could totally ignore it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, J. J. said:

A petition would only mean that people that signed it express no confidence with the three board member.  It could be given as correspondence to the board, which could totally ignore it. 

Or, in the assembly, they could simply make a motion expressing no confidence, which is why I basically ignored the word petition, but I appreciate Mr. Honemann's followup, because after the fact, I think they were in fact talking about a real signed petition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, George Mervosh said:

Or, in the assembly, they could simply make a motion expressing no confidence, which is why I basically ignored the word petition, but I appreciate Mr. Honemann's followup, because after the fact, I think they were in fact talking about a real signed petition.

Agreed, and if adopted, the vote of not confidence would be an action of the assembly, not of a group of members.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Loading...