The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Approving minutes when not at meeting

Guest Susie

City council  member abstains from approving the minutes of the last meeting because he was not there.

He claims he was not there and will not be responsible for "approving" issues that he did not witness and cannot verify.

I say that attendance has nothing to do with it: The council minutes need to be filed as "approved " to be the official record of the meeting.

What does RONR say?

19 minutes ago, Guest Susie said:

City council  member abstains from approving the minutes of the last meeting because he was not there.

He claims he was not there and will not be responsible for "approving" issues that he did not witness and cannot verify.

I say that attendance has nothing to do with it: The council minutes need to be filed as "approved " to be the official record of the meeting.

What does RONR say?

RONR says that no vote is taken on approval of the minutes. Once all corrections (if any) have been made, the chair simply declares that the minutes are approved.

On 9/17/2017 at 8:53 AM, Daniel H. Honemann said:

RONR says that no vote is taken on approval of the minutes. Once all corrections (if any) have been made, the chair simply declares that the minutes are approved.

Agreeing with Mr. Honemann, I would add that members do have the right to offer, and potentially vote on, corrections whether or not they were present at the meeting in question.

The classic example is where the minutes state that Mr. Adams made a motion, but Mr. Adams was not actually present.  Surely Mr. Adams would have the right to offer a correction.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.