The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Modertor's purpose

Guest Herbert Zhol

I am an appointed member of the town finance committee of which the town moderator is always (his or her choice) in attendance. What is the scope of the moderators purpose and when is the moderator considered out-of-order or a conflict-of-interest during the Finance Committee meeting.

if the town moderator is not a member of the committee (ex-officio or otherwise), they have no rights at all with reference to the committee's proceedings and can be excluded from attending if the committee so chooses. 

"During actual deliberations of the committee, only committee members have the right to be present. "  RONR (11th ed.), p. 501

I'm not sure I understand exactly what the problem is, but if they aren't a committee member, the solution is clear enough.

Edited by George Mervosh

Thank you very much. The current situation is the moderator is considered (at the town's finance committee meetings) ex-officio. The problem is the moderator is taking over meetings of the finance committee; when committee members try to speak, he's inclined to run over other's input. I've voiced my displeasure to the Chairperson and it would be my understanding that it is up to the Chair to bring the meeting back to order. But your answer is clear as to the moderator's position at the finance meeting. If you have any further advice, I loved to hear. Once again, thank you.

44 minutes ago, Guest Herbert Zhol said:

Thank you very much. The current situation is the moderator is considered (at the town's finance committee meetings) ex-officio. The problem is the moderator is taking over meetings of the finance committee; when committee members try to speak, he's inclined to run over other's input. I've voiced my displeasure to the Chairperson and it would be my understanding that it is up to the Chair to bring the meeting back to order. But your answer is clear as to the moderator's position at the finance meeting. If you have any further advice, I loved to hear. Once again, thank you.

Well if he's an ex-officio member as FAQ#2 notes (thanks Mr. Huynh) he has every right to be there.....but not to take over the meeting.

If he's behaving improperly then the Chair should call him to order and the committee should report his actions back to the town's council.

Edited by George Mervosh

...and if the chair does not call him to order, any member can and should raise a point of order.  Try this:

You (without waiting to be recognized): Point of Order!
Chair: State your point.
You: I raise a point of order that the committee is not in order.  The member who had the floor has been repeatedly interrupted.

30 minutes ago, Guest Herbert Zhol said:

Thank you everyone...I have a meeting tonight and will use all information that you have provided. This Q&A Forum has been a tremendous help...much appreciated!

Well, post #2 isn't very helpful since he apparently is a member, but yeah

5 hours ago, Guest Herbert Zhol said:

Thank you very much. The current situation is the moderator is considered (at the town's finance committee meetings) ex-officio.  . . .  (remainder of quote omitted).

Well, let's back up here.  You said he is "considered ex officio".  Well, he either is a member ex officio or he isn't.  Being "considered" a member isn't enough unless he actually is a member.  Is there a document such as a rule or adopted motion or legislation that actually makes him a member?  If not, it seems to me he is not an ex officio member regardless of whether he and/or others "consider" him to be a member. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.