The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Letter of Reprimand

JAR

I was giving a letter of reprimand due to a member I sponsered having been found in a violation of club rules. Specifically the letter says: as you are aware you are direcly responsible for the conduct of those members that you personal sponsor for the first year of their membership. No I was not aware, nor does it state that anywhere.

I asked the board to rescind this letter due to the fact that is nothing in the bylaws, constitution, or standing rules stating that I am direcly responsible for the conduct of those members that you personally sponsor for the first year of their membership.

Please advise.

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner

Wait, you're on the board? The same board that voted to reprimand you? If that's the case, you could move to withdraw the reprimand, but you'd have to convince enough members to take your side. If you received the letter from some heavy-handed president (THAT never happens!), then you could move to countermand the president's action. Or you could even move to discipline the president for reproving you without authority.

2 hours ago, JAR said:

My motion to recind the letter of reprimand was tabled, and will be brought up again at this months meeting. 

I'm afraid that there is no such thing as a motion to rescind a letter of any sort, and a motion to rescind a motion authorizing the sending of a letter cannot be made after the letter has been sent. Perhaps if you would spell out exactly what motion you made (and which you expect to be brought up at your next meeting), persons responding here may be of greater assistance.

It might also help if you would answer Mr. Goodwiller's question (which was, who issued or authorized the reprimand?).

(Dan Honemann, disguised as Scorpion)

• 2 weeks later...

I was given a letter of reprimand voted on by the board of officers, all members have the right to come to the meeting to dispute the "disaplinary actions" handed out to them. I asked at the board meeting (held monthy) to move to withdraw the letter of reprimand , the president said he would check our bylaws and we would disscuss at the next meeting (today).

Each board member said their opinion on it and although the board recognized that we do not have that rule in our bylaws nor anywhere else, that this "rule" has been moralized in the past. So they voted  4 to 2 that my letter of reprimand stays.  

I am not satisfied and highly dissapointed that this board did this.

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner
5 hours ago, JAR said:

Each board member said their opinion on it and although the board recognized that we do not have that rule in our bylaws nor anywhere else, that this "rule" has been moralized in the past. So they voted  4 to 2 that my letter of reprimand stays.

Unless your bylaws give the board exclusive authority to issue such reprimands, you may move at a meeting of the general club members to order the board to formally withdraw the reprimand. It will be up to the members, by a two-thirds vote without notice, majority vote with previous notice, or a vote of the majority of all members, to adopt your motion. Remember, the board does not control or "run" a meeting of the members unless your bylaws say so, although I expect they will try to do that if they are at all typical.

6 hours ago, JAR said:

I was given a letter of reprimand voted on by the board of officers, all members have the right to come to the meeting to dispute the "disaplinary actions" handed out to them. I asked at the board meeting (held monthy) to move to withdraw the letter of reprimand, the president said he would check our bylaws and we would disscuss at the next meeting (today).

Each board member said their opinion on it and although the board recognized that we do not have that rule in our bylaws nor anywhere else, that this "rule" has been moralized in the past. So they voted 4 to 2 that my letter of reprimand stays. 

I am not satisfied and highly dissapointed that this board did this.

It’s not entirely clear to me that a reprimand is a disciplinary action in the context of the rules in your bylaws. Even if it is, the board did meet again to give you an opportunity to dispute it, and they still voted to uphold the reprimand. Additionally, so far as RONR is concerned, an assembly can reprimand someone for whatever it wants. It’s not limited to violations of specific rules.

Nonetheless, you may certainly bring this issue to the membership and try to convince them to countermand the board’s action.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.