The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Parliamentarian

Guest acthomas

To include a parliamentarian in its deliberations? Yes, but RONR strongly suggests that the president (or presiding officer) should be free to choose a parliamentarian, since his primary role is to advise the presiding officer.  See pp. 465-467 for RONR's discussion of parliamentarians and their role in organized societies.

I agree completely with the answer by Mr. Lages, and would add that this provision from page 466 answers your question about providing assistance to other members of the assembly:  "During a meeting the work of the parliamentarian should be limited to giving advice to the chair and, when requested, to any other member."

6 hours ago, Bruce Lages said:

To include a parliamentarian in its deliberations? Yes, but RONR strongly suggests that the president (or presiding officer) should be free to choose a parliamentarian, since his primary role is to advise the presiding officer.  See pp. 465-467 for RONR's discussion of parliamentarians and their role in organized societies.

I have to agree that the choice of the parliamentarian should remain with the chair and that the assembly could not foist one on an unwilling chair.  I would also say that the chair is free to seek the advice of anyone he or she wants to (provided the person, of course, is willing to give that advice).

The assembly or board may decline to pay for the services of a parliamentarian.  However, the president is free to hire and pay, with his own funds, whomever he wishes. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.