The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President's vote in a certain size association or group

Guest SRBrown

Recently during a meeting, it was brought up that a president could vote, make motions and such under Robert's Rules, and that the president didn't vote just in the event of a tie based on a conversation over meeting rules.  One of the board members stated that this is not so because our organization is under a certain number so that wouldn't apply to us.  I am curious to know if that is in fact the case because Robert's Rules should apply to all across the board not pertain to only those who are above a certain threshold.  I have searched for this and am still searching but if someone out there can tell me what page this is stated, I would be very happy and eternally grateful!

11 minutes ago, Guest SRBrown said:

Recently during a meeting, it was brought up that a president could vote, make motions and such under Robert's Rules, and that the president didn't vote just in the event of a tie based on a conversation over meeting rules.  One of the board members stated that this is not so because our organization is under a certain number so that wouldn't apply to us.  I am curious to know if that is in fact the case because Robert's Rules should apply to all across the board not pertain to only those who are above a certain threshold.  I have searched for this and am still searching but if someone out there can tell me what page this is stated, I would be very happy and eternally grateful!

The less formal rules apply in small boards, and in all committee meetings. See pages 487-88 and page 500 in RONR, 11th ed.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.