The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can an appeal of the decision of the chair ever be "dilatory"?

Carolyn

I find I have another question! This one is straightforward. Are there any conditions in which an appeal of a decision of the chair can be deemed "dilatory" by the chair and thus not permitted? Or to put it slightly differently, are there any conditions in which a chair can refuse to hear an appeal of his or her decision on the basis that the appeal is "dilatory"? Doesn't an appeal of a decision of the chair that is seconded always have to end in a vote by the body on the chair's ruling?

Looking forward to hearing views on this!

17 minutes ago, Carolyn said:

I find I have another question! This one is straightforward. Are there any conditions in which an appeal of a decision of the chair can be deemed "dilatory" by the chair and thus not permitted? Or to put it slightly differently, are there any conditions in which a chair can refuse to hear an appeal of his or her decision on the basis that the appeal is "dilatory"?

Yes, an appeal of the decision of the chair is dilatory if there cannot possibly be two reasonable opinions on the question. (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 342)

22 minutes ago, Carolyn said:

Thank you, Josh. So everything comes back to whether there could be two reasonable opinions on the question.

Yes, and it's the chair who gets to make that decision. If the assembly believes the chair is wrongfully refusing to allow an appeal, the assembly's recourse is to suspend the rules and remove the chairman from presiding. Doing so requires a two thirds vote and the chairman must relinquish the chair for the handling of the motion. RONR p. 651-652, particularly p. 652. Also see the footnote on page 652.

Edited to add: the society might also consider disciplinary action against the president.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.