The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Elections and ballot counting

PresidentM

Election night is tomorrow for our organization.  It appears that we are going to have more participation than usual which is wonderful, however it might lead to a very late night.  Our bylaws and constitution call for 2 tellers.  The actual wording is "presiding officer shall appoint two tellers".  Is there any wiggle room there to use more than two tellers or are we to strictly abide by the text and have exactly two?  No more, no less.

Is your concern that you don't want to have the same two people as tellers for the whole meeting?  If that is the case I don't see why the presiding officer at the start of the meeting couldn't appoint two tellers and then as needed remove one or both of them and appoint replacements.  But stay tuned for other thoughts?

Seems to me that your requirement for "two tellers" in the bylaws could be treated as a "Special Rule of Order", page 15ff.  If your association agrees with that interpretation, then, by a 2/3 vote, it could suspend that rule and you could have as many tellers as needed to get the votes counted before midnight (or whenever).

1 hour ago, Joshua Katz said:

Why not 2 tellers and 2 assistant tellers?

A teller, by definition, is someone who counts the votes. I don’t think calling some of them something else changes how many tellers there are.

1 hour ago, jstackpo said:

Seems to me that your requirement for "two tellers" in the bylaws could be treated as a "Special Rule of Order", page 15ff.  If your association agrees with that interpretation, then, by a 2/3 vote, it could suspend that rule and you could have as many tellers as needed to get the votes counted before midnight (or whenever).

I agree that a rule pertaining to the counting of votes for a vote occurring during a meeting is clearly in the nature of a rule of order, and may therefore be suspended by a 2/3 vote.

In the long run, the bylaws should be amended to change the rule.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.