Jump to content
The Official RONR Q & A Forums
Shmuel Gerber

This is a moderator message. Why? Because now we can make such things.

Message added by Shmuel Gerber

Recommended Posts

You may have noticed that the forum looks slightly different today. The software has been updated to the latest release.

Let's hope that it has some good stuff, or at least no new bad stuff. Feel free to post comments here about any differences or problems that you encounter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shmuel Gerber said:

You may have noticed that the forum looks slightly different today. The software has been updated to the latest release.

Let's hope that it has some good stuff, or at least no new bad stuff. Feel free to post comments here about any differences or problems that you encounter.

In other news:

  • To prevent the original poster from deleting topics that have already been replied to, and to prevent anyone (other than moderators) from editing old posts in a way that will invalidate the conversation or make it incomprehensible:
    • Members can edit content only for 36 hours after posting, and only with an indication that the post has been edited.
    • Members can no longer delete content. (If you really need to delete something that you've posted, either edit out all the content within the time limit, or use the "Report post" link and ask that the post be deleted.)
  • Members who follow a topic should now be able to receive notifications of all replies, not just when their original post has been quoted.
  • Secure sign-in has now been enabled. (When you sign in, it is from an https page rather than a regular http page.)
  • Moderator messages can appear at the top of the topic page (as shown above).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see that "Title" is still not specified in the Start New Topic screen (should be Title of topic and not title of person posting).

Edited by Hieu H. Huynh
Added parenthetical

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Zev

And what about the old style numbers of the posting that so many have complained about for so long? Why couldn't that be revived? The rest I like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2017 at 4:01 PM, Shmuel Gerber said:

In other news:

  • Members who follow a topic should now be able to receive notifications of all replies, not just when their original post has been quoted.

I double checked my notification settings and it's set to receive notifications of all replies in a topic I post in but that feature still isn't working, just so you know.

In this thread, Mr. Goodwiller's reply didn't generate a notification http://robertsrules.forumflash.com/topic/30735-youth-league-board-member/  and in this thread Mr. Martin's reply didn't generate one http://robertsrules.forumflash.com/topic/30734-removing-write-in-votes/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has been working for me, not just since the upgrade, but for a while now. I get notifications in my browser and through email.

Did you check your spam folder?

Edited by Hieu H. Huynh
Added question

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Hieu H. Huynh said:

It has been working for me, not just since the upgrade, but for a while now. I get notifications in my browser and through email.

Did you check your spam folder?

I don't get the notifications by email, it's supposed to notify me the same way a quoted back response does, if I'm not mistaken.  Either way there is no notification from the website itself and I'd prefer not to get them via email.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2017 at 7:42 PM, Hieu H. Huynh said:

It has been working for me, not just since the upgrade, but for a while now. I get notifications in my browser and through email.

That setting was actually enabled a few days before the forum update. How long has it been working for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2017 at 4:16 PM, George Mervosh said:

I double checked my notification settings and it's set to receive notifications of all replies in a topic I post in but that feature still isn't working, just so you know.

The setting is called "Someone comments on something I follow." It was only enabled recently, so existing users might still have it disabled.

You can access the setting from this screen: http://robertsrules.forumflash.com/notifications/options/

Make to sure to scroll down to see all the options. Also make sure that the "Notify me of replies" option is checked in the individual topics.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2017 at 6:25 PM, Hieu H. Huynh said:

I see that "Title" is still not specified in the Start New Topic screen (should be Title of topic and not title of person posting).

We're still working on getting the proper access to tech support, but once that is done I can try following up once more about this issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2017 at 7:40 PM, Guest Zev said:

And what about the old style numbers of the posting that so many have complained about for so long? Why couldn't that be revived? The rest I like.

I'm guessing that they took that away because if a post gets deleted, the numbers will no longer be valid. In the meantime, specific posts can be linked to by copying the URL that pops up when you click on the "share" icon. For example:

image.pngimage.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Shmuel Gerber said:

I'm guessing that they took that away because if a post gets deleted, the numbers will no longer be valid. In the meantime, specific posts can be linked to by copying the URL that pops up when you click on the "share" icon. 

Ah, thanks.  I had previously stumbled upon how to do that in the past and then forgotten.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Shmuel Gerber said:

The setting is called "Someone comments on something I follow." It was only enabled recently, so existing users might still have it disabled.

You can access the setting from this screen: http://robertsrules.forumflash.com/notifications/options/

Make to sure to scroll down to see all the options. Also make sure that the "Notify me of replies" option is checked in the individual topics.

 

Thanks, Shmuel.  I've enabled those settings.  I had not noticed that before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×