The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ballot/Voting Procedure for getting to a Majority when multiple candidates are involved?

Guest Rob

13 minutes ago, Guest Rob said:

What is the next step in the voting procedure when you have 3 candidates nominated for a role and you can get to a majority on the first vote (i.e. 20 voting members vote as follows: Candidate 1 = 8 votes, Candidate 2 = 7 votes, Candidate 3 = 5 votes)?

Keep voting until one candidate receives a majority of the votes cast.

10 minutes ago, mjhmjh said:

Why did the authors of RONR choose this method?

Perhaps someone from the authorship team will elaborate, but it is my understanding that the rule that a majority vote is required to elect someone to office comes from the common parliamentary law and predates even General Robert's first book on rules of order in 1876.  Other commonly used parliamentary authorities, such as the AIP Standard Code of Parliamentary Procedure (previously known as "Sturgis") and Demeter's Manual of Parliamentary Law and Procedure require it.   It's not just an RONR rule.

Just now, Richard Brown said:

Perhaps someone from the authorship team will elaborate, but it is my understanding that the rule that a majority vote is required to elect someone to office comes from the common parliamentary law and predates even General Robert's first book on rules of order in 1876.  Other commonly used parliamentary authorities, such as the AIP Standard Code of Parliamentary Procedure (previously known as "Sturgis") and Demeter's Manual of Parliamentary Law and Procedure require it.   It's not just an RONR rule.

I meant why does RONR simply require another round of voting, rather than removing the candidate receiving the fewest votes?

One reason could be that the "fewest votes" person is actually most voters' second choice  --  after the voters realize, after a few rounds of voting, that their favored candidates (#1) can't beat the other favored candidate (#2), they say "Lets compromise" and vote for "Number 3",  So don't eliminate him.

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner
43 minutes ago, mjhmjh said:

I meant why does RONR simply require another round of voting, rather than removing the candidate receiving the fewest votes?

Because RONR is about civilized deliberation. Elections are not gladiatorial contests.

On 10/13/2017 at 10:35 PM, Guest Who's Coming to Dinner said:

Because RONR is about civilized deliberation. Elections are not gladiatorial contests.

Hey.  Nice.

(I appreciate when someone speaks up for civil, civilized civilization.  We don't see it often.)

Edited by Gary c Tesser
add opining

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.