The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Are nominees obligated to speak before a vote and are you required to open up the floor for debate before voting?

Guest Rob

When executing the annual elections of the Board members for my youth league is it customary/mandatory to have the nominees address the regular members? Additionally, am I required to open up the floor for any debate or questions from the regular members or is there individual vote itself simply there opening to have a say?

1 hour ago, Guest Rob said:

When executing the annual elections of the Board members for my youth league is it customary/mandatory to have the nominees address the regular members?

Well, you should know better than me whether it is customary. Do your nominees normally make speeches? Customs vary from organization to organization.

As for mandatory, they don’t have to speak, but you have to let them speak if they want to.

1 hour ago, Guest Rob said:

Additionally, am I required to open up the floor for any debate or questions from the regular members or is there individual vote itself simply there opening to have a say?

Yes, debate and questions are in order.

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner
2 hours ago, Guest When does debate end? said:

and as what point to you stop the debate and vote?

Same as any other situation: when each member has spoken twice for not more than ten minutes each time (not counting questions), or when a motion to limit debate is exhausted, or when a motion for the previous question is adopted, or when no one seeks the floor.

On 10/16/2017 at 10:11 AM, Guest When does debate end? said:

and as what point to you stop the debate and vote?

Unless you have special rules, or have adopted a motion relating to debate, the standard rules apply:

A member may speak for up to ten minutes at a time, may speak no more than twice on a given motion, and may only speak for the second time after all those who wish to have spoken once.

Any member, having gained the floor, may move to close debate by moving the Previous Question which requires a second, is not debatable, and requires for approval a 2/3 vote.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.