The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Chairman's ability to spend money from the Treasury

Guest Dale

In reading Roberts Rule, I remember reading a Chairman of a committee may expend up to $500 for emergencies.  Such as the Chairman need not call for a special meeting to get a majority vote, to fix the plumbing, or a broken window.  That all expenditures need committee approval, other than every month rent, or electricity bill.

1 minute ago, Guest Dale said:

In reading Roberts Rule, I remember reading a Chairman of a committee may expend up to $500 for emergencies.  Such as the Chairman need not call for a special meeting to get a majority vote, to fix the plumbing, or a broken window.  That all expenditures need committee approval, other than every month rent, or electricity bill.

No, you read no such thing in Robert's Rules of Order.

3 hours ago, Guest Dale said:

Neither a committee chairman nor a committee has the authority to spend any money, unless so authorized by the society or its rules.

Actually, no member at all has the power to spend any money, even a penny, unless authorized by the organization's own Constitution, By-laws, and/or Rules, or if authorized by the general membership or the Board (depending on the situation.)  Many organizations will reimburse the individual in order to make things look better, but they do not have to do so.

On 10/16/2017 at 3:07 PM, Guest Dale said:

You remember incorrectly.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.