The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Committee Chair

Guest Roy Bruno

6 minutes ago, Guest Roy Bruno said:

My problem:  I would like to publish approved meeting minutes.  Our next meeting is event-initiated at an unpredictable time.  What other method(s) is available to obtain meeting approval?

Under the rules in RONR, minutes are approved at the following meeting.  If you want to publish approved minutes, it can't happen before they're approved.

Any other methods would have to be contained in your bylaws.  There are none in RONR.

2 hours ago, Gary Novosielski said:

Under the rules in RONR, minutes are approved at the following meeting.

My book isn't handy, but couldn't a special meeting approve them?

BTW , Mr Bruno:  since this discussion thread is titled "Committee Chair," are we talking about a committee?  If so, there are differences.

You have at least two more options for approving minutes when the next meeting is too far away. 

The first is to have the assembly, at some point prior to adjournment, authorize and appointment a special committee to approve the minutes of the meeting.

The second option is to adopt a special rule of order providing for that to be done with all minutes.  

Frequenly, the board is authorized to approve minutes of general membership meetings.

7 hours ago, Gary c Tesser said:

My book isn't handy, but couldn't a special meeting approve them?

Normally, minutes are not approved at special meetings, and the minutes of the special meeting are approved at the next regular meeting.  However, I think that if a special meeting were called for the purpose of approving minutes, that would be permissible.

I don't believe, however, that this would necessarily solve the problem posed by the OP.

4 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

You have at least two more options for approving minutes when the next meeting is too far away. 

Or, although it's a bit impractical, the body could recess for 10 minutes at the end of the meeting, then return and approve the minutes (which were typed up during the recess).

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.