The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Meeting location in minutes of teleconference meeting

paulmcclintock

RONR p. 468, ll. 31-32 say that minutes should contain "the date and time of the meeting, and the place, if it is not always the same."

An organized society can meet by teleconference per bylaws, and adopts RONR, but has no rule addressing this particular issue.

Should (must?) the minutes contain the phone number and access code for the teleconference meeting as it's "location" (assuming it is not always the same)?

1 hour ago, paulmcclintock said:

RONR p. 468, ll. 31-32 say that minutes should contain "the date and time of the meeting, and the place, if it is not always the same."

An organized society can meet by teleconference per bylaws, and adopts RONR, but has no rule addressing this particular issue.

Should (must?) the minutes contain the phone number and access code for the teleconference meeting as it's "location" (assuming it is not always the same)?

RONR doesn't say but I think the answer to your question is, no.  I think saying the meeting was held by teleconference is fine.  Not that NAP always does everything right, but if you peruse the board meeting minutes history you'll see they simply mention the meeting was held using the technology that was used for that particular meeting.  I think that's adequate.    http://www.parliamentarians.org/documents/board-minutes/  

Edited by George Mervosh
Just cleaning up a bit.

11 minutes ago, George Mervosh said:

RONR doesn't say but I think the answer to your question is, no.  I think saying the meeting was held by teleconference is fine.

I agree. Including the place of the meeting in the minutes doesn't mean you need to include a copy of the key to the meeting room. :)

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 3:17 PM, George Mervosh said:

RONR doesn't say but I think the answer to your question is, no.  I think saying the meeting was held by teleconference is fine.  Not that NAP always does everything right, but if you peruse the board meeting minutes history you'll see they simply mention the meeting was held using the technology that was used for that particular meeting.  I think that's adequate.    http://www.parliamentarians.org/documents/board-minutes/  

The NAP Secretary began using that language at the suggestion of the parliamentarian when the board started using the technology for meetings. The NAP parliamentarian at that time was Burke Balch and I was the secretary who asked his advice. He always gave me good advice. :) 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.