The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Creating Blank when Secondary Amendment Pending

Guest Guest Peter

RONR 11th ed., p. 163, ll. 26 - 30 says, "The motion to create a blank requires a second, but it is neither debatable nor amendable; it can also be made and voted on while a primary or a secondary amendment relating to the subject specification is pending." [emphasis added - emphatic emphasis also added].

The sentence seems straightforward to me. However, I have been told a couple of times that I am misinterpreting it and that it would not be in order to move to create a blank when a secondary amendment is pending. In support of that argument, I've been directed to the example that follows the quoted sentence showing the creation of a blank when a main motion and primary amendment are pending, but not a secondary amendment. 

So I'm bringing the question to this forum. Assume, to extend the example on p. 163, ll. 14-34, the resolution has the amount of $300,000, the primary amendment is to strike out $300,000 and insert $350,000, and the immediately pending question is a secondary amendment to strike out $350,000 and insert $400,000. Would a motion to create a blank by striking out "$300,000" be in order at this time (the same as the example indicates it would be if the primary amendment were the immediately pending question)? If so, I assume that $300,000, $350,000, and $400,000 would all three become proposals to fill the blank.

14 minutes ago, Guest Guest Peter said:

RONR 11th ed., p. 163, ll. 26 - 30 says, "The motion to create a blank requires a second, but it is neither debatable nor amendable; it can also be made and voted on while a primary or a secondary amendment relating to the subject specification is pending." [emphasis added - emphatic emphasis also added].

The sentence seems straightforward to me. However, I have been told a couple of times that I am misinterpreting it and that it would not be in order to move to create a blank when a secondary amendment is pending. In support of that argument, I've been directed to the example that follows the quoted sentence showing the creation of a blank when a main motion and primary amendment are pending, but not a secondary amendment. 

So I'm bringing the question to this forum. Assume, to extend the example on p. 163, ll. 14-34, the resolution has the amount of $300,000, the primary amendment is to strike out $300,000 and insert $350,000, and the immediately pending question is a secondary amendment to strike out $350,000 and insert $400,000. Would a motion to create a blank by striking out "$300,000" be in order at this time (the same as the example indicates it would be if the primary amendment were the immediately pending question)? If so, I assume that $300,000, $350,000, and $400,000 would all three become proposals to fill the blank.

I think you've got it right.

10 hours ago, Guest Guest Peter said:

In support of that argument, I've been directed to the example that follows the quoted sentence showing the creation of a blank when a main motion and primary amendment are pending, but not a secondary amendment. 

I don't see how that supports the argument at all. It would be impossible (and undesirable) for the book to include an example of every variation of every rule.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.