The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amending Minutes

ShellyS

RONR states the assembly is responsible for approving and correcting the minutes.  Does the assembly include the VP if the mistake was made in minutes of a board meeting?

The only time the board gets the minutes from any meeting is that we hear the reading of the minutes from the last meeting at the next meeting.  We have no opportunity to see them or correct them prior to that.  

If the mistake is an omission of an important motion that was made yet not seconded or voted on... that should be in the minutes right?  

The assembly includes all members of the assembly, meaning the assembly whose meeting the minutes are a record of.  In most organizations, the VP will be a member of the board (when there is a board), and so yes, the VP is included.

According to RONR, the minutes should include, inter alia, "all main motions . . . that were made or taken up . . . ." p. 469.  So I would say that a motion which does not receive a second would be included, in the form "Mr. X moved that . . . .  The motion failed for lack of a second."  It's possible I'll be corrected, though.  

In any case, if something is missing from the minutes and should be there, the assembly can amend the minutes while they are pending for their adoption by a majority vote, or after adoption by the motion to amend something previously adopted, which requires a 2/3 vote, a majority vote with notice, or a majority vote of the entire membership, any one of which will suffice.

2 hours ago, Joshua Katz said:

I'm afraid I don't see the difference.  Presumably, the minutes are read and approved at the next meeting of the same assembly whose meeting they are minutes of.

Unfortunately they are not read to the next meeting of the same assembly.  I understand how your not seeing the difference.  We have Board meetings quarterly and member meetings quarterly.  The timing is such that the Board meetings are the month before the member meetings.  The minutes read at member meetings are that of the board meeting the month prior.  And the minutes read at Board meetings are the minutes from the member meeting two months prior.  Hence why I was afraid the VP wouldn’t be considered part of the assembly at a member meeting and this was not part of the body able to make motions to amend and correct minutes.  If the members, not including the board, were what defined assembly at a member meeting then they weren’t present for the Board meeting which is the meeting for which minutes are being read and would then have no knowledge to be able to amend or correct the minutes with.  I hope that makes sense.  

Is that not right?  We don’t have a bylaw stating which set of minutes is to be read at which.  We don’t have a bylaw stating they will even be read.  Our bylaws simply state meeting procedure is to follow RONR.  That’s it.  And I haven’t seen anything yet in RONR that specifies which is to be read at which.  Just that they are read and then open for amending then voted on.  

4 hours ago, ShellyS said:

Unfortunately they are not read to the next meeting of the same assembly.  I understand how your not seeing the difference.  We have Board meetings quarterly and member meetings quarterly.  The timing is such that the Board meetings are the month before the member meetings.  The minutes read at member meetings are that of the board meeting the month prior.  And the minutes read at Board meetings are the minutes from the member meeting two months prior.  Hence why I was afraid the VP wouldn’t be considered part of the assembly at a member meeting and this was not part of the body able to make motions to amend and correct minutes.  If the members, not including the board, were what defined assembly at a member meeting then they weren’t present for the Board meeting which is the meeting for which minutes are being read and would then have no knowledge to be able to amend or correct the minutes with.  I hope that makes sense.  

I hope you're just kidding.

4 hours ago, ShellyS said:

Is that not right?  We don’t have a bylaw stating which set of minutes is to be read at which.  We don’t have a bylaw stating they will even be read.  Our bylaws simply state meeting procedure is to follow RONR.  That’s it.  And I haven’t seen anything yet in RONR that specifies which is to be read at which.  Just that they are read and then open for amending then voted on.  

And I still hope you're just kidding.

6 hours ago, ShellyS said:

That is not right.  Each assembly (board and general membership) should be approving their own minutes.  I have no idea how you got this practice, but given that it has no support, it should stop.  A point of order should be raised at both meetings.  (There are times it would be appropriate for the board to approve the minutes of membership meetings, but this isn't one of them, and even then, it would require authorization.)  

6 hours ago, ShellyS said:

If the members, not including the board, were what defined assembly at a member meeting then they weren’t present for the Board meeting which is the meeting for which minutes are being read and would then have no knowledge to be able to amend or correct the minutes with.

Well, the board isn't present, as a board, at a membership meeting, but in most organizations, the individual members of the board also tend to be members of the organization, and thus each still has a vote at a membership meeting.  But that is beside the point.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.